Nextcloud versions and updating

My YunoHost server

Hardware: Home server running in a VM
YunoHost version: 3.6.5.3
I have access to my server : Through SSH & through the webadmin

Description of my issue

Nextcloud has just released version 18 as stable, but Yuno is still on version 15.

My questions:

1. Is there a timeline on when Yuno will update to the more recent stable Nextcloud release?
  2. If not, is there a way for me to manually upgrade to v18 after installing v15 through Yuno?

Thanks very much!

1 Like

Some of us are working in a docker version to integrate the latest version as soon as possible…

5 Likes

thnx for the ongoing hard work.
Could you explain a little more; is docker now part of YNH? Is this a new way to integrate apps into YNH?

Also, I am also curious to the answers to the OP’s questions.

docker is a way to package apps, in a similar way than virtual machines, but without the operating system duplicated. Anyway is a pain in the ass… and worst… only works in 64bits environments.

What i’m trying is to use docker to add nextcloud 18 as a provisional solution to the delay of the official app, my intend is not to replicate or duplicate work is to make it accessible to some people. But if your intention is to have the latest nextcloud… my recommendation is to dedicate a machine to that… if possible a real one, or a virtualmachine (virtual box for example) and install it there… and to use postgresql not mysql. The installation is not that hard doing by hand, the documentation could be better but is what we have.

The problem with v18 is that need a newer php and some other libs not available in debian 9, so the real problem is to update yunohost to debian 10, and that is not an easy task, is complicated and very time consuming…

I’ve wrote a blog post in French to share my experience about having a different nextcloud in different versions on Yunohost. https://blog.genma.fr/?Yunohost-et-plusieurs-instances-de-Nextcloud-1-N

In few words, I install nextcloud default app several times, I had a backport for php to have 7.3 php available on Debian 9. And I upgrade Nexctloud manually from 15 to 18.

Yunohost still works, but it changes few things and you must be carefull. After that, don’t update nextcloud app (you needs to update nextcloud manually). You probably cant restore Yunohost from a backup made by Yunohost (because some changes are done manually, so I do my own backup). So you need to have some sysadmin skills to be able to restore Yunohost if something is broken.

Hope its help.

2 Likes

Hey @genma, nice to bump into you in virtual space from time to time :slight_smile:

I try to stay away from customized installations as much as possible as they require attention, documentation and time. I hope that HNY on Debian10 becomes a reality sometime…

In the meantime I might move to NC18 on a separate machine.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.