[Nextcloud] How to setup nextcloud email

Hello everyone,

I am trying to get Nextcloud email to work and need some help

My YunoHost server

Hardware: Rock64 at home
YunoHost version: 4.1.5
Nextcloud version 20.0.4~ynh1
I have access to my server : through the webadmin and if required direct access via keyboard / screen
Are you in a special context or did you perform some particular tweaking on your YunoHost instance ? : new install, IPv6 not yet working

Description of my issue

I installed the mail app according to YunoHost • index , but it did not work.
Next I setup my mail account with Thunderbird following that same page, and it works.
Last I discovered Settings -> Groupware -> Email and tried my luck here. Now the email app shows an empty folder, but not any of the emails I see in Thunderbird.

Email: %USERID%@example.noho.st

IMAP/SMTP:
User: %USERID%
Host: example.noho.st
IMAP Port; 993, SSL/TLS
SMTP Port: 587, STARTTLS

Can this be set up in Yunohost?
Thanks for your help.

For my setup, I first installed RoundCube and then I installed NextCloud.

In the NextCloud Mail settings, I tried both the automatic route wherein you just put in your username password and it automatically sets up the account and also manual settings.

I am assuming you can access your email through the web interface but you are not able to setup the the email configuration in NextCloud, you can try the following:

1. Use Automatic Settings
  2. Use Manual Settings
    1. For host, enter localhost
    2. For host, enter example.noho.st

I would recommend that you first setup RoundCube because that is how I set up mine and it works flawlessly, but your mileage may vary

p.s after putting the credentials and logging in, NextCloud showed an error that it could not setup the email. As soon as I reloaded the webpage, I could access the mailbox folder even though prior to the reload it showed that it could not setup

Hello, for me it’s OK on Rainloop, Thunderbird and Nextcloud Mail.
But on Nextcloud Mail, User = %USERID%@example.noho.st.
My NextcloudMail configuration

Ok, I tried
user + domain,
user@domain + domain,
user@domain + localhost,
user + localhost
from the global settings, nothing worked.
@naolivier17 thanks for the screenshot, do you use the global setting “provision an account for every user”?
Funny: when I unselect the “provision an account for every user” there seems to be no way to save this, or is there? EDIT: seems like it saves after some time…

Tried it as in your screenshot for my individual account, when “provision an account for every user” is active with the same settings it looks like success but does not show the mails I see with Thunderbird, and the “Send” button stays greyed out.

@navanchauhan which web interface do you mean? Currently I do not have a dedicated email app installed, but can read my mail from Thunderbird.

Now I’ll try another app. Or I might fix my IPv6 first and get a certificate, need that for element.io anyway.

Did you make it work? I remember I also struggled in the past. Generally, nextcloud mail seems to be quite buggy if you check Nextcloud forum or the app store here https://apps.nextcloud.com/apps/mail - rather alpha, maybe beta, but surely not production ready

1 Like

It works for me now, to my surprise actually.

I have been trying to get it to work a couple of times, but gave up every time.

Now that I saw I was not the only one, I tried troubleshooting it again. Nextcloud is at version 20.0.4~ynh1.

I also entered details manually, long ago, because the main email address is not the same as the login name.

It turns out that it already works! Not the inbox, it just hangs at ‘Loading messages’, but sent items are visible.

Maybe it receives a timeout, somewhere. The inbox is not huge
(it does display: 427 messages), but sent items is even smaller and it is displayed. Subfolders with 20 or so messages are displayed with no problem.

So, no help from me, only a data point “It should work”.

Here other clients also have no problem: Rainloop for webmail, K9 on Android and Sylpheed or Thunderbird on the desktop.

I installed SOGo and it is working out of the box as expected.
Thanks for sharing your experiences and problems with nextcloud mail, I’ll leave it alone for now.

Yeah, it works for me also now, even without the previous “loading” in NC 19. Just the layout is weird, the column with the messages far too small

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.