Need migration advice re: mastodon

My YunoHost server

Hardware: VPS
YunoHost version: 4.x
I have access to my server : ssh/webmin
Are you in a special context or did you perform some particular tweaking on your YunoHost instance ? : no

Description of my issue

I want to migrate my server to 11.x. I have Mastodon and Synapse both installed on the root domain. Last time I ran an upgrade I had to uninstall Mastodon, run the upgrade, then reinstall Mastodon from backup.

• Does anyone have any experience with this scenario, i.e. running a migration on a server that hosts Mastodon and Synapse on the same domain?
  • If I uninstall Mastodon from 4.x, will I be able to restore from that backup once the server is migrated to 11.x?
  • Is the uninstall step still necessary or has this issue been addressed?
  • Is there anything I should watch out for?

Thanks!

Do you know why ? That might be the issue to resolve.

It’s a known issue with having Mastodon and something else on the root domain. The uninstall β†’ upgrade β†’ reinstall shuffle is the recommended workaround. I’m just wanting to make sure it’s still applicable in this case.

I have no experience to share on that point, but it should be possible to restore the backup on a newer debian version, yes.
It should not be breaking compatibility, otherwise a mandatory upgrade would have been done in the package before the migration.

1 Like

For those interested, the method I outlined above (uninstall -masto β†’ upgrade server and apps β†’ restore masto from backup) worked without any problems.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.