Need help, Let's migrate to another rack server?

My YunoHost server

Hardware: Rack server AMD 64 > New Rack sever AMD 64
YunoHost version: 11.1
I have access to my server : Sure
Are you in a special context or did you perform some particular tweaking on your YunoHost instance ? : no

Description of my issue

It’s time to upgrade my rack server, but there is one big issue: I’m moving from SATA to SAS, so I can’t simply swap the drives and call it a day. I’m wondering what method of data migration you guys would suggest. Should I use a backup solution to copy the data to an external drive and continue from there, or are there other methods?

you probably can use dd command for this.

Please, a little more explanation?

What @ljf means is that you could clone your SATA drive to your SAS drive with the command DD or with any other hard disk cloning tool

Sure, but that’s the issue.

I can either use SAS or SATA in my server not both at the same time. Although I can use the SATA externally, that’s too slow since my webshop on its own is already like a few hundreds of GB’s. Last time I cloned that HDD to an SSD it took like 5 days.

@someonesusername
You can also use Clonezilla https://clonezilla.org

Yes I’m aware of CloneZilla, I used it in the past, but it took a massive amount of time!

Here is another solution maybe, I make YH backups to symbolic link which points to another drive. Now what if I take the YH backup drive out of my current server, make it external and mount it to my new server and then recover the backups from that drive. Is that a possibility?

@someonesusername
If your services are critical, you may need to redesign your instance.
The installation should be done on a raid1 with two disks and a spare disk for example.
This way if one disk of the raid fails the spare disk will take over automatically.

This will give you time to replace the failed disk.
But this system has a cost in terms of disks, you will also have to avoid buying all your disks at the same time to avoid falling on a bad series. Disks that could fail in time or have the same defaults.

Your solution of making a symbolic link from your current disk to another disk mounted externally on your instance is useless if you cut the link. Moreover, you might have problems with rights and permissions of some files on such a system.

The best solution in your case is to use DD or Clonezilla.

Translated with DeepL Translate: The world's most accurate translator

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.