My Umlaut broke my instance :(

Hardware: Brand new server at home, but my Yunohost is itself hosted on a LXD container.
YunoHost version: 3.6.5.3
I have access to my server : Through SSH | through the webadmin | direct access via keyboard / screen
Are you in a special context or did you perform some particular tweaking on your YunoHost instance ? : yes
I tried to setup 2 domains. A fairly regular one and an other one with a Umlaut, which corresponds to spätz.li

Description of my issue

I managed to setup a first domain without encountering any problem. However, when I tried an another one with the Umlaut, it raised this error :

root@yunohost-private:/etc/nginx/conf.d# yunohost domain spätz.li
Info: The operation 'Regenerate system configurations 'nginx'' has failed! To get help, please share the full log of this operation using the command 'yunohost log display 20191127-163117-regen_conf-nginx --share'
Info: The operation 'Remove 'spätz.li' domain from system configuration' has failed! To get help, please share the full log of this operation using the command 'yunohost log display 20191127-163121-domain_remove-spätz.li --share'
Info: The operation 'Install self signed certificate on 'spätz.li' domain' has failed! To get help, please share the full log of this operation using the command 'yunohost log display 20191127-163116-selfsigned_cert_install-spätz.li --share'
Info: The operation 'Add 'spätz.li' domain into system configuration' has failed! To get help, please share the full log of this operation using the command 'yunohost log display 20191127-163115-domain_add-spätz.li --share'

Somehow spätz.li broke through and was “successfully” added to my web interface but this message somewhat scared me so I removed it right away.

The thing is : I cannot add nor remove any domain since this unfortunate attempt. I think I broke my instance cause I encounter the same error messages again and again :confused:

Here’s what I get when I try to do anything :

Add ‘stream.tgarcia.ch’ domain into system configuration: An error occurred during LDAP operation
The operation 'Install self signed certificate on ‘stream.tgarcia.ch’ : Operation unit has not been closed properly
Remove ‘stream.tgarcia.ch’ domain from system configuration : An error occurred during LDAP operation (again but empty this time)
Regenerate system configurations ‘nginx’: argument of type ‘NoneType’ is not iterable

Please dont be mean even thou I knew I asked for it when I bought this domain x’)

1 Like

Hm okay

I tried to add pretty much the same domain on a test instance and surprisingly it worked … (I was expecting it to make everything explode though o.O)

But what happens if you try to remove this “problematic” domain ?

Also maybe can you check that service slapd is running ? Maybe restart it ?

Ahah ofc I did remove it. I got spooked pretty bad when those errors popped out. But now I cannot remove nor add a new domain. And yes slapd is running fine.

I already checked those slapd logs but I didn’t see anything remotely weird : https://paste.yunohost.org/dugalapuzu

Well I restored an old backup and it works quite okay. sorry not sorry :sweat_smile: :joy:

1 Like

If you are ready to try to break it again, maybe to should try the IDNA encoded version of your domain: xn--sptz-moa.li. That will get converted into the accent-version by the browsers, and will save your system from handling special characters.

I have no idea if YNH handles that though, but I see no reason not to try.

2 Likes

Oh god I can’t believe it worked! :joy:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.