[my_capsule] Custom Gemini capsule to make your Gemini pages reachable on the web

yes it’s the correct way… I will look what’s happened

1 Like

Hi!

I’ve been playing around with my gemini server and broken files/folder ownership (I’ve been trying to use nextcloud to work with .gmi files and the sync with rsyn. Anyway, just context)

Please would anyone post here your output to (

ls -la /var/www/my_capsule/

ls -la /var/www/my_capsule/index.gmi

to use as reference. thank you.

currently I’ve chmod -R my_capsule:gemserv /var/www/my_capsule/www but I presume it’s not right. Thank you.

• my_capsule
drwxrwx---+  3 my_capsule my_capsule 4096 Apr 16 17:13 .
drwxr-xr-x+ 14 root       root       4096 Apr 21 18:36 ..
drwxrwxrwx   3 my_capsule www-data   4096 Apr 16 23:11 www
  • index.gmi

/var/www/my_capsule/index.gmi doesn’t exist, but /var/www/my_capsule/www/index.gmi does:

-rw-r--r-- 1 my_capsule www-data 1735 Apr 16 23:07

BUT I cannot upload anything via SFTP to Gemini, so I might have something wrong:

Broken transport; encountered EOF. The connection attempt was rejected. The server may be down, or your network may not be properly configured.

I can upload HTTP sites (my_webapp) and my Gemini site is also up, it’s just the SFTP what fails.

thank you @xabi

that was exactly my problem (sftp does not work) so I started to change ownership, etc.

weeks (months?) ago I could edit/upload files directly from sftp but now it’s not possible. I’ve tried many ssh access config, but I gave up because I did not want to risk access to more relevant sections of the server.

gracias Xabi, creía que era un problema personal (de mi configuración) el no poder acceder a la cápsula a través de sftp (por consola o con gestor gráfico de ficheros). Había probado a cambiar muchas cosas pero al final me rendí para no arriesgar dejarlo peor y no poder acceder como root o realizar otras gestiones en el servidor.

Have you tried using the same permission/ownership webapps have? As far as I understand my_capsule is based on my_webapp and accessing to webapps via SFTP works.

drwxr-x---+  3 root      root     4096 Apr 16 16:42 .
drwxr-xr-x+ 14 root      root     4096 Apr 21 18:36 ..
drwxrwxrwx   7 my_webapp www-data 4096 Apr 16 21:59 www

this is for /var/www/my_webapp/www/index.html

-rw-r----- 1 my_webapp www-data 23675 Apr 16 22:01

1 Like

yes, I can access my_webapp but I presume is something related to my_capsule user not being in sftp group, or something group like that. Reading logs I can see that is about conection rejected by server, not wrong user/password (nor ssh keyfile)

Currently I edit my capsule files directly with nano editor and root user. Not ideal, sad, but it works :tm:

@ghose I tried grep sftp /etc/group and I got sftp.app:x:1002:my_webapp,my_capsule. You know more than I do, sorry I cannot help any more.

I also edit my capsules with nano, although I’d like to be able to upload folders and create a tree.

Maybe you could submit an issue on Github.

1 Like