Multiple yunohost instances on one server

FRANCAIS

merci pour toutes vos reponses !

donc si je resume, la technique commune consiste a avoir des instances virtuelles, soit sur des VMs (virtual machines), soit avec des containers :

• VMs avec proxmox
  • containers, soit avec proxmox, soit incus (fork of lxd, present dans yunohost)
    • plus leger
    • mais meme kernel → quels problemes ca peut poser ? securité ? ressources ? limitations dans ce qui peut être fait dans les containers ?

et pour pouvoir acceder a chaque instance séparement il y a 3 options :

• des reverses proxy par exemple avec nginx proxy manager
  • SNI → je ne comprends pas trop ce que c’est, mais pour les usagers il me semble que ca revient au même ?
  • ipv6 → (edité) acceder aux instances sans utiliser de nom de domaine, c’est ca ? directement avec les adresse ip, donc ipv4 aussi pourrait marcher ?

avec toutes ces infos, j’ai l’impression que je vais partir sur la methode (edité, meilleur comprehension de l’implication d’utiliser ipv6) :

**un proxy + containers avec Incus**

(avant edition : ipv6 + containers avec Incus)

dès que j’aurais reussi a changer mon OS pour debian11 (je decouvre le monde des ipmi et idrac, et ca ne marche pas bien pour l’instant :p), j’essaierai d’implementer ca, et je vous tiendrai au courant !

ENGLISH

thank you all for your answers !

so to sum up, the common technique is to have virtual instances, either on VMs (virtual machines) or with containers:

• VMs with proxmox
  • containers, either with proxmox or incus (fork of lxd, present in yunohost)
    • lighter
    • but the same kernel → what problems might that pose? security? resources? limitations on what can be done in the containers?

and to be able to access each instance separately there are 3 options:

• proxy reverses, for example with nginx proxy manager.
  • SNI → I don’t really understand what that is, but for users it seems to me that it’s the same thing?
  • ipv6 → (edited) access instances without using a domain name, right? directly with ip addresses, so ipv4 could also work?

With all this information, I have the impression that I’m going to use the method (edited, better understanding of the implications of using ipv6) :

**a proxy + containers with Incus**

(before edit : ipv6 + containers with Incus)

as soon as I’ve managed to change my OS to debian11 (I’m discovering the world of ipmi and idrac, and it’s not working well at the moment :p), I’ll try to implement it, and I’ll keep you posted!

notes : @wbk you asked :

First of all, could you elaborate on the need for separate instances?

well, I have a dedicated server with a lots of place, and I plan to have an instance for me, another one for an association, and certainly other instances for friends, family, and maybe other associations. I want to give full sudo access to the isntance for the association for example, without worrying of what happens to the other instances

1 Like