Migration guide

My YunoHost server

Hardware: VPS bought online
YunoHost version: 4.3.6
I have access to my server : Through SSH
Are you in a special context or did you perform some particular tweaking on your YunoHost instance ? : no

Description of my issue

I would like to migrate from the current server to a more powerful one. Is there a simple and straightforward way to do so via YuhoHost?

Furthermore, is there any thorough step-by-step guide?

What concerns me:

• pushing IP address changes to Gandi registrar automatically
  • migrating configurations and saved data
  • seamless transition from one server to another via YunoHost

Thanks a lot in advance for your help!

T

People have had good experiences with backing up the server on one side, and restoring the backup on the new server (either directly after the postinstall, or you can also run yunohost backup restore /path/to/archive as a replacement for postinstall)

1 Like

Thank you very much, but unfortunately your explanation is not detailed enough for my limited technical skills… how should I backup? What does postinstall mean? The path of the backup I want to restore leads to a directory that I can move from a server to another with a simple scp command?

Sorry for the many questions.

No worries, it’s the occasion to sum it up and refine the documentation.

1. Perform a full backup (system and apps)
  2. Install your new server, but do not perform the postinstallation step. That one is either performed with the browser-based form or the yunohost tools postinstall command. Do not do it.
  3. Download the backup (yes, scp is a solution, most likely better than trying to download a huge archive from the browser as shown first in the doc. You can scp directly from the command line of the new server, and put the archive back into /home/yunohost.backup/archives/<archivename>.tar)
  4. Restore your backup from the command line: yunohost backup restore <archivename>
  5. Change your DNS configuration at your registrar. That way, since DNS propagation varies widely, you have two servers offering the same content available at the same time, very useful for you not to lose visitors. Be careful if you have users generating content meanwhile, they have to check they are connecting to the new server (a ping to check the IP address should be enough).
  6. Delete your old server the next day, it should be long enough time for the new DNS records to propagate, and for you to make sure everything is working on the new one.

Side note for documentation editors, myself included: this antediluvian page has to be updated.

6 Likes

This is very useful. Thank you very much!

Best,
T

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.