Migration from digitalocean.com to hetzner.com

I don’t think so if I choose “I already have a domain”.

The new server on hetzner for the old domain is installed, but I haven’t started the post-installation yet.

I have set up another new server with a new noho.st domain.
I intend to try the following now as described above:

In case something doesn’t work, I could assign the apps on the old DO server to the old domain back again and everything should work as before. Do you think so too?

I actually already have registered a domain where my email runs on a ordinary webhosting, not on a yunohost server. Is it possible to use it for both? I don’t think so, am I right?

Busy days away from keyboard here, maybe your situation has changed by now!

If I understand you correctly: yes, that would work. You don’t know yet how much time there will be between re-assigning and the actual migration of your apps, because it also depends on the noho.st-domains etc., correct?

I would suggest making the backup before re-assigning the domain, so that the back-up has the ‘right’ domain. Then re-assign to a new (sub)domain on the old server, so that everything stays available.

Don’t forget to make a Yunohost system backup as well of the old server, before adding the new domains. That system backup you then use instead of the post install, so that you have your domains and users in place.

When you have your own old domain on your new server, the back-ups now will match the domain name directly.

Sorry, you are not right in this case. You’ll have to have a look in the DNS settings of your webhosting, and mix-and-match the records to point in the right direction.

So, imagine you got these domains:

• surf.noho.st, currently for Yunohost
  • schoe.bi, currently (only?) for email

It is a bit guesswork from here on, depending on which services your hosting provider offers and which of those you actually use.

• schoe.bi will have
    • an A record (and AAAA) pointing to the IP of the hosting provider
    • an MX record, pointing to the domain name of the mailserver
    • there probably are also ftp., smtp., all kinds of A/AAAA records, mostly pointing to the same IP
  • surf.noho.st has, depending on installed apps,
    • A/AAAA records pointing to the IP of your DO- or Hetzner-VPS
    • an MX record pointing to your main/default domain (probably surf.no.host, but could be a subdomain as well)
    • and all those other records

Now, if you’d go to the hosting providers’ admin panel and add surf.schoe.bi as A, with the IP of your Hetzner-VPS, it mixes and matches between email on your hosting provider and Yunoservices at the subdomain.
Depending on what services are running at schoe.bi, you can use that domain for your Yunohost as well, or maybe you have to move a few things to another subdomain (hosted.schoe.bi, or anything) so that you keep access to those services. If your hosting provider offers the admin panel at schoe.bi/admin for example, you’d have to log in to their panel at hosted.schoe.bi/admin after changing the A records. For sure that is a friendly name for the actual location of their login, so you’d be able to log in other wise as well.

Sorry for the long post that runs way ahead of your question, lets see if reality still matches :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.