[Mastodon] A free, open-source social network

C’est bon, finalement j’ai bien suivi la doc et ça fonctionne …

A l’inverse si des personnes avaient quelques exemples de fichier custom.scss pas trop complexe (oui je suis une brèle en css) ?

Merci

How can I search hashtags from federated Mastodon instances?

Nice great package thanks for sharing the info. :grinning:

Hello ! I’ve just installed my own Mastodon Yunohost instance : https://mastodon.glibre.org , all worked fine apparently.

I created the account @galuel@mastodon.glibre.org

I can post, an I can retrieve profiles from other instances (comes with their profile picture when posting to them, so it seems technical connections work well), but at the moment :

• I can’t see any global messages, only mines.
  • My post to other instances profiles stay with “waiting approbation”
  • I cannot see any “waiting invite” in other instances accounts I tried to follow, so I cannot approve anything.

It seems like my new instance is not fully connected to the other ones…

Did I miss something ?
Do I need to manually add connections to others intances ? How ?
Do I only need to wait ?

I did not find any advice in the documentation I found, it seems that after installation all should work normally…

I think this is linked to the way Mastodon works.
Your instance does not try to follow any other instance, so it is perfectly normal to have an empty public feed.

I just tried to send you a message and got an answer, so I think everything works.

For the « waiting approbation » message, I have never seen it, so I don’t know the meaning.

If your instance is only for you, I think you can forget the public feed, there will be nothing more than in your feed (that’s what I understand about it, and I’m on a really small instance and there is nearly nothing in it)

Yes things seems to work finally. What I did :

• Install Let’s Encrypt Certificate for the Mastodon subdomain (it’s self signed by default !) : quick and very easy thru Yunohost admin interface
  • Follow accounts from other Mastodon Instances
  • Just got new posts in my instance from those accounts, and so starting to interact.

So finally all worked very easily, but it is surprising starting from a desert…

#Mastodon 2.8.3 for #Yunohost has been released.

#Mastodon is a free, open-source social network.

Install with the following command:

$ yunohost app install https://github.com/YunoHost-Apps/mastodon_ynh

or upgrade using:

$ yunohost app upgrade mastodon -u https://github.com/YunoHost-Apps/mastodon_ynh

2 Likes

#Mastodon 2.8.4 for #Yunohost has been released.

Fixed :

• Fix delivery not retrying on some inbox errors that should be retriable (ThibG)
  • Fix unnecessary 5 minute cooldowns on signature verifications in some cases (ThibG)
  • Fix possible race condition when processing statuses (ThibG)

Upgrade using:

$ yunohost app upgrade mastodon -u https://github.com/YunoHost-Apps/mastodon_ynh

2 Likes

#Mastodon 2.9.2 for #YunoHost has been released.

Fixed :

• Fix audio-only OGG and WebM files not being processed as such (Gargron)
  • Fix audio not being downloaded from remote servers (Gargron)

Upgrade using:

3 Likes

Upgrade went fine from a v2.6.x instance.
Thanks for the awesome work!

2 Likes

Thanks for packaging this app!
I’m having trouble with the post-install. When trying to create a user/admin from the command line, it was failing with:

/usr/lib/ruby/2.3.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:55:in `require': cannot load such file -- bundler/setup (LoadError)
	from /usr/lib/ruby/2.3.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:55:in `require'
	from /var/www/mastodon/live/config/boot.rb:3:in `<top (required)>'
	from bin/tootctl:3:in `require_relative'
	from bin/tootctl:3:in `<main>'

After searching around, I installed bundler. But now I get:

\Your Ruby version is 2.3.3, but your Gemfile specified >= 2.4.0, < 2.7.0

In frustration, I edited the Gemfile, and now I get:

Your bundle is locked to rake (12.3.2), but that version could not be found in any of the sources listed in your Gemfile. If you haven’t changed sources, that means the author of rake (12.3.2) has removed it. You’ll need to update your bundle to a different version of rake (12.3.2) that hasn’t been removed in order to install.

I’m afraid to keep stabbing around in the dark here. What should I do?

You tried to create user/admin from the command line ? Can you provide the command you used
Or
The error is during the installation ? Can you then provide a link to the full logs

Yes, I followed this instruction here:

I am unable to create a user from the webpage, because it requires the server to send an email for confirmation, and I haven’t been able to properly configure my ynh mail server. That’s why I tried the alternate method above.

Have you checked on your YunoHost, the mail of first YunoHost user you created ?
You just have to install rainloop using yunohost app install rainloop, log in the YunoHost Web interface with the first user you created on YunoHost and go to rainloop.

1 Like

I think I tried installing rainloop, but had some problem installing it. Anyway, I can use k9mail client on my phone to log in to those email accounts, but have not been able to enable outgoing messages. I can receive a message there from say, gmail, but I cannot reply. It seems like it must be a port issue, but as far as I can tell, everything is setup right. My ynh server is at my house, but (because my ISP blocks some ports) I have it connect to a VPS via wireguard. I have wireguard rules to allow/forward all relevant ports, and also opened those ports on the VPS firewall. This has generally been working as expected (allows me to obtain LE certs, for example). I don’t know why email doesn’t work.

To create an admin account you have to do
( cd /var/www/mastodon/live && sudo -u mastodon env PATH=$PATH:/opt/rbenv/versions/2.6.1/bin/ RAILS_ENV=production bin/tootctl accounts create "papa" --email="papa@domain.tld" --confirmed --role=admin)

1 Like

During install, Mastodon send an email to the local root user, so the mail doesn’t sent out of your YunoHost server. The mail is directly stored locally.

1 Like

You are right on both counts, of course :smile: My mistake was not doing ‘-u mastodon’. I still need to figure out how to get emails to send from my server accounts, but that is a different issue. For now, I am able to use and administer my mastodon instance. Thank you again for maintaining this package, and your assistance with my problems.

Ok, I just attempted the new update, and it failed. Not only that, but mastodon is no longer available to me. The url redirects to my server sso page, where mastodon is not listed. It IS listed as an installed application in the admin interface, and also shows update available. However update keeps failing. Here is the log of my most recent attempt:

https://paste.yunohost.org/raw/nalokefimo

Why are you trying to upgrade your mastodon version, you already are at the last version …