[Mailman] Mail discussion and e-newsletter lists

@Aleks ,

The Bullet point about DNS is that my k9-mail client on my Android doesn’t sent the mail’s reply because of bad configuration.
I’ll try from webmail Rainloop in order to test it again.
I think i should, one day, buy a domaine name and configure DNS well.

ppr

p.s. : Désolé pour mon anglais perfectible.

1 Like

@Aleks ,

I think i’ve found the issue with DNS.
It seems to appear that a minima an alias (user ?) have to be created in the script installer like that

mailman-request@DOMAIN.TLD

At this moment Google is more verbose than my K-9 mail Android client :

Réponse du serveur distant :
550 5.1.1 mailman-request@domain.tld: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table

Final-Recipient: rfc822; mailman-request@domain.tld
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: dns; domain.tld. (IP.of.my.server, the server for the domain domaine.tld.)
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 5.1.1 mailman-request@domain.tld: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table
Last-Attempt-Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2017 12:18:31 -0700 (PDT)

ppr

Uh okay ? To me it doesn’t seem related to DNS but more to aliases …

What exactly led you to send an email to mailman-request@domain.tld ?

@Aleks ,

Have to add alias :

mailman-request@domain.tld
mailman-owner@domain.tld

Don’t fotget to remove then in the unistall script :wink:

ppr

Ok but… What led you to be willing to send emails to mailman-request@domain.tld :confused:

@Aleks ,

It’s when you subscribe to a list, you had to confirm your mail by replying message to mailman-request@domain.tld or by clicking on the link in the message.
It’s the same for unsubscribe.

ppr

Oh okay, sorry about that !

But in fact the alias already exist and should be working … c.f.

$ cat /var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman | grep "request"
mailman-request@yolo.test      mailman-request@localhost

$ cat /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases | grep "request"
mailman-request:     "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman request mailman"

So not sure why that doesn’t work, but that should be investigated :wink:

Hello,

Thank you soo much for this app!

Success on Yunohost 2.7.2 on Olimex Lime1 (arm) board :tada:

I’ve installed, subscribed, sent and received a mail, but I did not tried to remove yet.

On a VPS the mailman was installed successfully, (also on 2.7.2 on a Debian 8.9).

I was able to subscribe, receive the activation link and activate my registration to the list. But sending an email to the default mailman@domain.tld returned…

550 5.1.1 mailman@computhings.be: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table;

So I removed the app in the idea of installing it again (as a good noob). The removal was successful but I cannot install mailman anymore.

Warning: ./install: line 78: /var/lib/mailman/bin/mmsitepass: No such file or directory
Warning: !!
Warning: mailman’s script has encountered an error. Its execution was cancelled.
Warning: !!
Warning:
Warning: /var/lib/mailman wasn’t deleted because it doesn’t exist.
Warning: /usr/share/yunohost/hooks/conf_regen/98-postfix_mailman wasn’t deleted because it doesn’t exist.
Warning: /etc/nginx/conf.d/computhings.be.d/mailman.conf wasn’t deleted because it doesn’t exist.
Warning: The configuration file ‘/etc/postfix/main.cf’ has been manually modified and will not be updated
Success! The SSOwat configuration has been generated
Error: Installation failed

I do not know where to look (install log, etc) so if you need more info, just ask and I’ll try to provide it.

Eh okay that sounds weird …

Can you try running apt-get remove mailman --purge and try again ?

It removed mailman :mask: :thumbsup:

And I was able to install (for the second time on the same machine), and now I’ll test if the mailman@computhings.be address will work his time.

@Aleks , @tierce ,

I’ve created aliases manually on YunoHost admin’s panel for the user and domain i’ve install mailman on my instance.

ppr

Mmmm … this second installation was done using the same settings but I’ve a redirect error on the admin url https://computhings.be/mailman/.

Ah, that might be because I broke things in the meantime :wink:

Did you use the direct URL to the github repo ?

I suppose, I used this one : GitHub - YunoHost-Apps/mailman_ynh: Mailman packaging for YunoHost

Definitely was my fault then, sorry 'bout that :wink:

Now it should be fixed (and should also be working on root path, e.g. if you want to install on some domain like list.domain.tld/)

Cool! I installed it on lists.computhings.be but I do have the same error :

550 5.1.1 mailman@lists.computhings.be: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table;

And …

$ cat /var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman | grep "mailman"

Returns …

mailman@lists.computhings.be mailman@localhost

@ppr suggested to add aliases via admin panel, I suppose to any user on the same domain, but that sounds weird to me because I did not have to do it on my cube. The address mailman@tierce.nohost.me worked «out of the box» and it’s not even visible as an alias of my user account.

That’s really weird :confused: You should see a whole bunch of alias related to the default list (“mailman”)

Can you do

$ cd /var/lib/mailman/bin && ./genaliases

and see if that put more stuff in the virtual-mailman file ?

When you go to the web interface, do you see the “mailman” list correctly listed ?

Sorry … I did not paste all the content

# file virtual-mailman.db.  YOU SHOULD NOT MANUALLY EDIT THIS FILE unless you
mailman-loop@lists.computhings.be	mailman-loop@localhost
# STANZA START: mailman
mailman@lists.computhings.be              mailman@localhost
mailman-admin@lists.computhings.be        mailman-admin@localhost
mailman-bounces@lists.computhings.be      mailman-bounces@localhost
mailman-confirm@lists.computhings.be      mailman-confirm@localhost
mailman-join@lists.computhings.be         mailman-join@localhost
mailman-leave@lists.computhings.be        mailman-leave@localhost
mailman-owner@lists.computhings.be        mailman-owner@localhost
mailman-request@lists.computhings.be      mailman-request@localhost
mailman-subscribe@lists.computhings.be    mailman-subscribe@localhost
mailman-unsubscribe@lists.computhings.be  mailman-unsubscribe@localhost
# STANZA END: mailman

And yes in the web interface the list called «mailman» is visible.

Hm ok :thinking: But then the mailman@lists.computhings.be adress should definitely be working … Do you have a MX record for your lists.domain.tld ?