Mailing using thunderbird (IMAP+SMTP)

After some fiddling and removing my server from the blacklist, I now am able to send and receive mails using roundcube.
I now want to use thunderbird to get my emails. But the connection fails :frowning:

I used the information from documentation but I got a “connection refused” when I try to retrieve my mails.

After looking around, I had a problem with dovecot.socket:

May 21 22:35:31 yunohost systemd[1]: Starting Dovecot IMAP/POP3 email server activation socket.
May 21 22:35:31 yunohost systemd[1]: Listening on Dovecot IMAP/POP3 email server activation socket.
May 21 22:36:18 yunohost systemd[1]: dovecot.socket: Got POLLHUP on a listening socket. The service probably invoked shutdown() on it, and should better not do that.
May 21 22:36:18 yunohost systemd[1]: Unit dovecot.socket entered failed state.
Jun 07 19:50:30 yunohost systemd[1]: Starting Dovecot IMAP/POP3 email server activation socket.
Jun 07 19:50:30 yunohost systemd[1]: Socket service dovecot.service already active, refusing.
Jun 07 19:50:30 yunohost systemd[1]: Failed to listen on Dovecot IMAP/POP3 email server activation socket.

I fixed it using the following instructions: https://appbead.com/blog/fix-errors-reported-in-syslog-for-debian-8-jessie.html

But I still have a problem (/var/log/mail.log):

Jun  8 07:12:35 yunohost dovecot: imap-login: Disconnected (auth failed, 3 attempts in 26 secs): user=<thibaut>, method=PLAIN, rip=192.168.0.254, lip=192.168.0.86, TLS, session=<0SIdBr80TQDAqAD+>
Jun  8 07:13:27 yunohost dovecot: imap-login: Disconnected (auth failed, 3 attempts in 14 secs): user=<thibaut>, method=PLAIN, rip=192.168.0.254, lip=192.168.0.86, TLS, session=<e3XqCb80TgDAqAD+>

I tried to reconfigure the package yunohost-config-dovecot (from [résolu] Migration vers Jessie --> pb serveur mail). But it is not currently installed.

What can I test to pinpoint my problem?

Some more tests:

$ openssl s_client -connect tribu.fr:993
CONNECTED(00000003)
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE IDLE AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=LOGIN] Dovecot ready!!
a1 LOGIN thibaut passwd
a1 NO [AUTHENTICATIONFAILED] Authentication failed.

On the server side, not much:

Jun 8 21:02:25 yunohost dovecot: imap-login: Aborted login (auth failed, 1 attempts in 54 secs): user=<thibaut>, method=PLAIN, rip=192.168.0.254, lip=192.168.0.86, TLS, session=<uVUrnMo0IADAqAD+>

I checked the /etc/dovecot/dovecot-ldap.conf.ext file but not sure if anything is wrong in there

I tryed to connect on roundcube directly (whithout the sso connection) and I get the same error:

Jun 8 21:11:55 yunohost dovecot: imap-login: Disconnected (auth failed, 1 attempts in 2 secs): user=<thibaut>, method=PLAIN, rip=::1, lip=::1, secured, session=<gfo0wco0MgAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAB>

Is it linked to the imap auth problem?

I just reset my password and it worked.
What is weird is that I could log in on the sso with the password but not directly on the applications.

So, if you cannot log in on the applications, just reset your password!

1 Like

Just got the same issue and solved it by using your trick so thank you first!

Is there still not any idea of what this glitch is about?

edit: By the way, it looks like it works for users accounts but not for admin one (still available from web interface and also still the same message when sending mails via thunderbird, receiving is ok though).

Since it is now working on my side, I did not look any further.