Login failing for Roundcube

Environment

  • Application: Roundcube 1.7.4~ynh1
  • Yunohost version: 12.1.41.2
  • Hardware: Cloud VPS, x86

Description

On a fresh cloud instance of Debian, I recently installed Yunohost, and subsequently, through the webadmin, installed Roundcube.

I have not applied any special customizations.

Unfortunately, I have yet to find any success using Roundcube.

Starting from simply navigating to the base path of the application, with no additional path components and with no query parameters, a fresh browser window initially displays a login page generated by Roundcube, while also immediately displaying, in the lower right corner of the browser content pane, the message “Login failed.”

At this stage, despite the implication of the message, no credentials have yet actually been provided to Roundcube. A login session for the portal has been established. Otherwise, the portal presents its own login page.

Upon submission of the same credentials as are accepted by Yunohost, the login page simply reloads, and again flashes the same message, “Login failed.”

I have tried “force-upgrade”, as well as trying complete removal of the application followed by reinstallation. Unfortunately, the same confusing behavior still persists.

I am seeking support finding a resolution.

Check that your user or group has email permission
Also check the browser console for errors that may be helpful

Fortunately, setting the permission allowed me to enter the application.

Ideally, the missing permission would be handled more gracefully, either by additional details being reported on the failure, or by an explicit check on the permission before control is passed to the application.

Actually, I would have expected that the permission is not relevant to whether the application could be opened, only to whether messages could be sent or received.

See

By default, the email permission is granted to all users.