[Libreddit] Alternative to Reddit

Overview

Libreddit is a portmanteau of “libre” (meaning freedom) and “Reddit”. It is a private front-end like Invidious but for Reddit. Browse the coldest takes of r/unpopularopinion without being tracked.

Features

:rocket: Fast: written in Rust for blazing fast speeds and memory safety
:cloud: Light: no JavaScript, no ads, no tracking, no bloat
:male_detective: Private: all requests are proxied through the server, including media
:lock: Secure: strong Content Security Policy prevents browser requests to Reddit

Shipped version: 0.22.2~ynh1

Demo: https://libreddit.spike.codes/

Screenshots

Documentation and resources

3 Likes

Libreddit upstream has been quiet for a while now. It was forked to Ferrit: GitHub - YunoHost-Apps/ferrit_ynh: Ferrit Package for YunoHost

libreddits development has shut down (see The future of Libreddit · Issue #871 · libreddit/libreddit · GitHub) and reddit started banning libreddit-instances. However a new initiative (a fork of libreddit) with a different way to access was founded: GitHub - redlib-org/redlib

I just tested redlib, as my libreddit-instance was banned by reddit some weeks ago.

I used it as a drop-in replacement for libreddit on my running instance. I built redlib and replaced libreddit binary with redlib and now it works again.

Should we change libreddit_ynh to use redlib or create a new yunohost-app for redlib?