Lemmy: How to upgrade app to v17.2 if Postgresql 15 is required

My YunoHost server

Hardware: VPS with Debian 11
YunoHost version: 11.1.18
I have access to my server : SSH & webadmin
Are you in a special context or did you perform some particular tweaking on your YunoHost instance ? : no
If your request is related to an app, specify its name and version: Lemmy 0.16.7~ynh1

Description of my issue

Hi. The Lemmy app is out of date and needs to be updated. I branched the repo in an attempt to fix it and create a pull request. First time I’m trying this. However, I am stumped about what to do next. The latest upstream version v0.17.2 requires Postgresql v15.

Lemmy distribution is all Docker based, and it assumes users run the app in Docker and use docker-compose the correct Postgresql version. This seems fairly straightforward.

However the YNH app package extracts Lemmy from its Docker container and it runs “normally” on the system. This is an issue, because Debian’s version of postgresql is v13.9 and this is not compatible with the latest version of the app. Postgresql 15 only appears to be available in Debian Testing.

So what do I (or lemmy_ynh’s maintainer) do now? Somehow grab Postgresql 15 from Debian Testing? Move the whole application over to use Docker (which seems easier and less problematic than running the application on the system, but Docker seems somehow not used in YNH)? Or is there currently no reasonable way to make this work with YNH?

I would say just wait for YunoHost to reach Bookworm … Trying to frankenstein the whole system is a no-go. This kind of situation is symptomatic of app developers having little care about actual distribution of their software :

• for people not using Docker, you end up having to use Debian testing to be able to install it
  • and even if YunoHost would be using Docker, this is still not good because to keep the system lightweight, you’d want apps to use a common DB server instead of running a dedicated DB server which ends up eating up RAM
2 Likes

Thanks Aleks. Yes, it makes sense. I guess I can wait until June.

As an aside, I think I would actually prefer applications to be siloed in containers, as personally I’d rather use more memory and don’t have to worry about the matrix of possible installed dependencies and applications which might interfere with each other. Containers may also increase security a bit, which is a concern when applications need to be repackaged or lag behind upstream. But I can absolutely see why YNH might not want to make this tradeoff and force it on everyone.

Alex is already a great guy. He is always and everywhere in the forum and does a lot here. He should get an award for it. I like @anji Alex

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.