Issue with openVPN Server Capturing Visitor IP Addresses in Yunohost Server

My YunoHost server

Hardware: AMD64
YunoHost version: 11.2.10 (stable)
I have access to my server : Yes
Are you in a special context or did you perform some particular tweaking on your YunoHost instance ? : Yes - it’s behind a openVPN Server

Description of my issue

Hello everyone,

I’m encountering an issue with my Yunohost server that I’m hoping someone here might be able to shed some light on.

The problem arises when I use a VPN server behind my Yunohost web host server. It seems that the VPN server is capturing every visitor’s IP address as the local IP address of the server itself, which is assigned by the VPN IP Pool. This issue is causing inconvenience and security concerns, as it leads to website downtime when a hacker is blocked by IP, redirecting all visitors to localhost.

I’ve tried reaching out to OpenVPN support, but unfortunately, they couldn’t provide a solution. I’m wondering if anyone else in the Yunohost community has encountered a similar issue or might have some insights into resolving it.

Any suggestions or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help!

Best regards,

Hi someonesusername,

The situation is not very clear to me. Could you elaborate? Maybe give an example, with which IP’s get changed? You installed OpenVPN on your Yunohost? What do you mean with OpenVPN support, do you have a link to that forum discussion for background?

Hello there,

It seems like you are a little lost with all this. For example, I’m not too sure what you mean by “it’s behind an OpenVPN server”.

No worries, been there, done that.

As much as like helping around (I’m waiting for a Student that requested help and while waiting, answering a forum).

Unfortunately, it is not possible to provide any guidance as long as you do not provide a better description of your issue.

Explain it like it’s a story :slight_smile:

I had that old computer taking dust and decided to give it a go.
I followed instructions…
I configured as follows !
When I run diagnostic…

I wanted to be able to access my server from anywhere, but not expose them. An openVPN seemed, according to my understanding, like the way to go. So I installed … and I configured it likewise : configuration comes here

I expected that, when I log to the VPN from outside of my network for this and that to happen. But instead, here is what I get : …

Now this is an issue for me because …

2 Likes

I needed to implement a VPN solution for my YunoHost server due to the introduction of a failover internet connection. Constantly dealing with DNS changes whenever the IP address shifted wasn’t my cup of tea. Thus, I opted to set up an OpenVPN Access Server on a VPS, following OpenVPN’s guidelines, and utilized DMZ.

However, after configuring everything, I noticed that every visitor’s IP address displayed as a client’s LAN IP instead of their public IP. To address this, I employed port forwarding using iptables along with iptables-persistent.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.