How worried should I be of 0777 permissions?

My YunoHost server

Hardware: VPS bought online
YunoHost version: 4.1.7.4 (stable)
I have access to my server : Through SSH | through the webadmin | direct access via keyboard / screen | …
Are you in a special context or did you perform some particular tweaking on your YunoHost instance ? : no

Description of my issue

I started to notice some folders and files having 0777 permissions, such as some main app folders in var/www, like the peertube folder and such. As far as I know this permissions are not recommended since anyone can read/write/execute. I changed some to 0755 but I see that YNH updates and such seem to change them back. I can provide more exact examples but this is the YNH’s behavior not mine, since I did not change any to 0777 manually.

I thought to ask here…

Cheers!

Generally having 0777 permissions on app folders is not a good idea, there is work going on right now across various apps and the YunoHost core to fix these permissions issues. If you notice a problem with a specific app feel free to open an issue in its GitHub repo

3 Likes

Ok I see. I will have a deeper look at this the following days and will for sure report it to their ynh github pages. Cheers!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.