How to setup a domain only for mail?

Hi,

I want split the mail and webservice to different servers. Yunohost is for the mail and an external server is for the web. Is this easy possible or are there some troubles? Is it only part from dns? (A record to external server and mx record to yunohost) What have I to do / to configure / to respect on yunohost?

Thanks for your hints

1 Like

I wonder about this too. How can I use it only as mail service? Is there anyone to help with this?

Just add the domain to yunohost, point the mx record to your yunohost server, that is how I did it as far as I remember. The mx record is for mail, while the A record is for the website

@tinder
I would rather say that it depends on your hoster and how you set your DNS entries. Since I have a pretty similar problem. With me the domains lie with three different Damian administrator one my friend Profi-webspace the other is all-in and the last is ngnix. And my servers are with Hetzner.
My question is. Why don’t you create a glue record? So that you make a main domain to run it like that. Example, your first one is called yunohost.com. that you now create one under the glue record procedure. And create one gladly as mail.yunohost.com, with that you continue, on your main domain, at the same time you have a hanger like the subdomain, which runs only for the email traffic under Yunohost. Whether that now moves to the new server or the other extensions that you have planned to change. That is up to you how and what you have in mind

Translated with DeepL Translate: The world's most accurate translator (free version)

Ich würde eher sagen, dass es auf deinen Hoster darauf ankommst und wie du deine DNS Einträge setzt. Da ich ein ziemlich ähnliches Problem habe. Bei mir liegen die Domains bei drei verschieden Damian Verwalter einer mein Freund Profi-webspace der andere ist all-in und der letzte ist ngnix. Und meine Server sind bei Hetzner.
Meine Frage ist. Warum erstellt du keinen Glue-Record erstellen? So, dass du eine Hauptdomain dazu bringst, sie so laufen zu lassen. Beispiel, deine Erste heißt yunohost.com. dass du jetzt eine anlegst unter dem Glue-Record Verfahren. Und erstellst eine gerne als mail.yunohost.com, damit setzt du weiterhin, auf deine Hauptdomain, gleichzeitig hast du einen Aufhänger wie die Subdomain, die nur noch für den E-Mailverkehr unter Yunohost läuft. Ob die jetzt umzieht auf den neuen Server oder die anderen Erweiterungen, die du dir vorgenommen hast wechseln. Das bleibt bei dir wie und was du vor hast