How to ignore or fix mistaken spam diagnosis? (SpamRATS)

My YunoHost server

Hardware: Digital Ocean VPS
YunoHost version: 4.2.8.3
I have access to my server : Through SSH and webadmin
Are you in a special context or did you perform some particular tweaking on your YunoHost instance ? : yes
If yes, please explain:
Modified SSH and Nginx configs.

Description of my issue

About every 5-10 days I get the following Spam diagnosis message, however when I run diagnosis manually it does not appear, so I can’t “ignore” it. I contacted the spam/blacklist site (SpamRATS) and used both their online form and emailed support to verify my IP is not blacklisted. Seems like it might be a bad API call on the Yunohost side? Anybody else having this problem? Thoughts on how to ignore/fix?

The automatic diagnosis on your YunoHost server identified some issues on your server. You will find a description of the issues below. You can manage those issues in the 'Diagnosis' section in your webadmin.

---

=================================
Email (mail)
=================================

[ERROR] Your IP or domain <redacted> is blacklisted on SpamRATS! all
  - After identifying why you are listed and fixed it, feel free to ask for your IP or domaine to be removed on http://www.spamrats.com/

I am pretty sure you can ignore it via the diagnostec screen in the webadmin.

Could you send me (in mp) your IP for debug purpose ?

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply, Mamie, but like I said, the issue does not show up on the diagnostic page when I run a manual diagnosis.

Sent. Thanks for taking a look, @ljf.

1 Like

I made some checks

$ dig +short A zz.yy.xx.ww.all.spamrats.com @80.67.169.40
$ dig +short A zz.yy.xx.ww.all.spamrats.com @89.234.141.66
$ dig +short A zz.yy.xx.ww.all.spamrats.com @9.9.9.9

I check in spamrats doc and i see about limits:

Do NOT use a free DNS service for lookups, many of those will no longer work, please use your or your provider’s DNS service.

It seems only 127.0.0.36, 127.0.0.37, 127.0.0.38 but it’s not well documented and i guess some people using spam rats considering 127.0.0.xx indicates you are listed…

I think 127.0.0.50 is return on most used free dns resolvers…

SO you can simply click on “ignore” button in diagnosis.

If someone want to try to fix that, it’s a good first issue and there is explanation to fix this bug: Diagnosis incorrectly report IP blacklist on Hostkarma · Issue #1873 · YunoHost/issues · GitHub

Thanks for investigating @ljf. Unfortunately, as I mentioned, the issue does not show up when I run diagnosis manually, so I can’t “ignore” it. I only get emails every 5-10 days or so, whenever the automatic process runs.

Thanks for the issue-tracker link. Maybe someday I’ll find some time to dig into it there.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.