How to disable an apt sources.list with backports

Hi,
I just started using yunohost. After some tinkering it works. Nice! Now I have this question:
My server diagnosis tells me ‘it looks like apt is configured to use backports’ and that this is not wise.

My YunoHost server

Hardware: VPS bought online
YunoHost version: 4.1.7.4
I have access to my server : Through SSH | through the webadmin | direct access via keyboard
Are you in a special context or did you perform some particular tweaking on your YunoHost instance ? : no

Description of my issue

My servers tells me ‘it looks like apt is configured to use backports’ and that this is not wise.
I now looked in /etc/apt/ and there is sources.list but also sources.list.d/ with several files in, namely:

• hetzner-mirror.list
  • hetzner-security-updates.list
  • onlyoffice.list
  • yunohost.list

In one of the two hetzner-*.list i found the line with the backports and commented it out.
Can this just be done like that? Or may there be unwanted consequences? Like already installed packages now being left without updates?

Note: hetzner is where I got my cloud-server / vps, from there I installed debian 10 and then ran yunohost on that.

That should be ok. Having backports enabled is not a huge issue but we had many bad experience in the past so now we just recommend to disable it to avoid unwanted catastrophies. Even though theoretically “you can only install stuff from backport if you explicitly ask for it”, but still, there can be many domino effect when doing so.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.