How to create XMPP chatrooms on noho.st server

Hi, my name is Marcel,
I am based in Germany. During the last days I set up a YunoHost on Raspi 4.
Most of the things are working now. Thanks for this great project!

:uk:/:us: Message template (english)

My YunoHost server

Hardware: Raspberry Pi 4 at home
YunoHost version: current (installed few days ago, updated today)
I have access to my server : Through SSH | through the webadmin (mostly)
Are you in a special context or did you perform some particular tweaking on your YunoHost instance ? : no

Description of my issue

One thing I am stuck with, which should be easy I guess:
Setting up XMPP chat rooms. Documentation says that it requires changes to the DNS record.
My understanding is, that for noho.st this is kinda transparently handled by YunoHost scripts.
Or simply said, I do not know where to change it. I installed a native MacOS XMPP client (monal) and to
me it seems that rooms are not created in the client, correct?
Probably I simply do not know enough about XMPP, so apologies if this is a stupid question.

Cheers, Marcel

“rooms” ARE created on the clients.

first: check diagnose page in webadmin if you have any warnings about your noho.st domain. You should have a valid certificate installed (selfsigned or letsencrypt) to avoid some client warnings (likely).

have you any xmpp contact? If so you only have to start a conversation with that contact, the “room” is created automatically.

you may also want to enter MUC (multiuser chat) in other servers OR create one in yours and invite people (contacts).

Thank you ghose for answering.

My certs are okay (le), and probably I was just not clear about the mechanisms of XMPP, here.
After looking closer at the security side of things, I decided that it is probably wise to stick to Signal for chat, anyway.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.