How to : Backup Yunohost server on Borgbase with Borgbackup

Seems like it would be nice if either the ynh borg app readme linked to this tutorial, or perhaps the yunohost docs referencing the use of borgbackup. My experience installing was: After installing the app I was rather clueless about how to continue (and didn’t check my email - didn’t expect it to email me.) Had I not found this, I’m not sure where I’d be.

1 Like

I agree that it is not working out of the box. It would be very very nice to have a gui that does everything but we always have to account that the projects is maintained by volunteers.

1 Like

Hi everybody

I’d like to ask about “prune” strategy. I have default config for this feature, I have no space problems so far, but as I had never used automated backups :roll_eyes: :see_no_evil: I wonder how many copies should I keep.

I personally consider that it keeps too many copies, but it could be I’m missing the point of why are they needed. Give me a reason :rofl: to keep backups from 6 months ago!

I know it depends how sensible and how often data changes on the server (or how much paranoid I am :smiley: ), but since march I only had to restore one app, it was my fault, I restored “yesterday’s copy”, solved.

I’m honest with this, I’m totally noob on admin servers. My ynh is for personal use of my family (nextcloud files, xmpp server, some books, wiki…)

thanks

Please would you share your backup strategy and thoughts? Thanks

On my side, “old” backups are only here if something went wrong and I did hot noticed it for days/weeks.
For example files deleted in NextCloud, or mail deleted by accident.
If I only keep the last backup, when the problem will be noticed, the save will also contain it.

As Borg also does de-duplication, multiple saves do not mean that the size is multiplicated, only the difference is saved.

That’s why I keep daily backup for some apps, weekly backups for others, and a few monthly backups for all of them.

1 Like

This is one reason, of course:

Another, imagine some lowlife manages to guess your password, and decides to encrypt all your files that have not been accessed this week: you’d never find out in time if you only got three daily backups.

1 Like

Hello I am trying to install this backup solution.
I took a subscription on borgbase because I have 37 Gb to save …

Here I am installing Borg backup App on my YunoHost but I have a dependency problem it seems to me and the app cannot install …

I enclose you my Yunopast, if you understand, I am interested in your information, in advance a big thank you!
Yunopast +> https://paste.yunohost.org/raw/ikubarizor

Bonjour je suis en train d’essayer d’installer cette solution de Backup.
J’ai pris un abonnement sur borgbase car j’ai 37 Gb à sauvegarder…

Là j’en suis à installer Borg backup App sur mon YunoHost mais j’ai un soucis de dépendances il me semble et l’app n’arrive pas à s’installer…

Je vous joins mon Yunopast, si vous comprenez, je suis preneur de vos informations, par avance un grand merci !
Yunopast +> https://paste.yunohost.org/raw/ikubarizor

Hello fdrubigny1

In the Yunopast, I can see that Borg installer failed to install dependencies for Borg.

I also see that Borg installer try to install those dependencies with apt-get, the Debian packaging system. And before installing anything, it update the package list, which is the right way to proceed :

2021-11-08 19:54:14,410: DEBUG - + apt-get --assume-yes --quiet -o=Acquire::Retries=3 -o=Dpkg::Use-Pty=0 update
2021-11-08 19:54:14,554: DEBUG - Get:1 Index of /debian/ buster InRelease [18.2 kB]
2021-11-08 19:54:14,574: DEBUG - Hit:2 http://download.onlyoffice.com/repo/debian squeeze InRelease
2021-11-08 19:54:14,587: DEBUG - Get:3 Index of /debian-security buster/updates InRelease [65.4 kB]
2021-11-08 19:54:16,047: DEBUG - Hit:4 https://packagecloud.io/ookla/speedtest-cli/debian buster InRelease

Those lines are relatives to the repository configured in the source.list of the Debian packaging system.
But I can’t see a full Debian repository like deb.debian.org or ftp.debian.org.

Did you manually modify your /etc/apt/sources.list ?
Or, if you edit this file, do you see commented lines with *.debian.org ?

1 Like

Hello,
thank you for this feedback.
Indeed, I manually changed the sources.list file …
I modified it and suddenly the installation could be done!
Thank you so much.
Yours sincerely.

1 Like