How do people use the multimedia folders?

How do people use the multimedia folders? There is nothing in the Yunohost documentation about how to use them, and only passing reference to a few commands on how to configure the folders (EDIT: The helper commands are no longer part of yunohost). So where do people place their multimedia files that they want to share with all users of their system?

I went for /home/yunohost.multimedia/share, in the hope that all multimedia-aware applications can use the files. After that, I re-scanned all users’ files with the Nextcloud occ command, to make Nextcloud aware of the files. I have yet to see if other apps can see if the files are present, but I hope so? Also, I see that the Github repository for Yunohost multimedia has been archived. Does that mean that the current use of shared multimedia folders will be deprecated? Any information about the current and future use of the multimedia folders would be welcome.

1 Like

Hello,
As far as I’m aware, most of the multimedia related package use these folders to store data (among others nextcloud, calibre-web, universal media server, transmission, minidlna, airsonic and, I think, much more…). This is true that it is not very well documented.

The repo has been archived because the helpers are now in the core of YunoHost, so I don’t think there is any risk that it will be deprecated in the short term!

1 Like

Thanks for answering. If the helpers are part of yunohost core, there is still little documentation as to where they are. I am checking the “yunohost” command now to see if I can give the nextcloud user write access to the folders, so I can upload new content via Nextcloud. Of course, I can use normal usermod commands, but sometimes there are Yunohost specific ways to do things.

EDIT: Giving write access to the nextcloud user doesn’t seem to be so easy, because the multimedia folders are owned by the root group. I don’t think adding the nextcloud user to that group is a good idea.

I had a somewhat similar case, I’ll link to that thread for inspiration. Access is coarsely given via groups, but more finely grained access via access control lists. I solved my problem with:

Thanks for the notice, I have added a warning in the README of the repository.

@eivind I’m quite surprised by your questions. Multimedia directories have been integrated with Nextcloud for YunoHost for 5 years now. Is your app older than that? (upgrades may have missed adding the directories).

As you can see with the following command, each user has a Multimedia Share directory that’s common to the whole server.

ls /home/titus/Multimedia/Share -la
lrwxrwxrwx 1 titus root 31 Jul 31 16:37 /home/titus/Multimedia/Share -> /home/yunohost.multimedia/share

You missed the ACLs (+ signs):

$ ls -la /home/yunohost.multimedia
total 20
drwxrwxr-x+  4 root  root 4096 Aug 24 15:08 .
drwxr-xr-x  13 root  root 4096 Aug 24 15:03 ..
drwxrwxr-x+  6 root  root 4096 Oct  1 12:12 share
drwxrwxr-x+  6 titus root 4096 Jul 31 16:37 titus
-rwxrwxr-x+  1 root  root 2514 Mar 13  2021 ynh_media_build.sh

$ getfacl /home/yunohost.multimedia/share
getfacl: Removing leading '/' from absolute path names
# file: home/yunohost.multimedia/share
# owner: root
# group: root
user::rwx
group::rwx
group:multimedia:rwx
mask::rwx
other::r-x
default:user::rwx
default:group::rwx
default:group:multimedia:rwx
default:mask::rwx
default:other::r-x

The ACLs do give write access to users belonging to the multimedia group. By design, only app users such as nextcloud or any other app using the Multimedia directories feature belong to it. So, if you add files to the directories through Nextcloud, it should work.

If you want your human user (like my titus) to have write access, indeed you will need to do sudo usermod -a -G multimedia elvind.

Note that the Multimedia feature is not enabled by default, it’s up to each app packager to decide if it’s worth integrating.

(erf, @wbk was faster, though their solution was a bit more technical than a simple usermod :stuck_out_tongue: )

3 Likes

My installation is less than a week old, but I used Nextcloudpi earlier, which doesn’t have those directories. That’s why I hadn’t seen them before. Thanks a lot for help & explanation! I understand, then, that the ideal thing to do would be uploading to /home/USER/Multimedia/Share, as that symlinks to /home/yunohost.multimedia/share. Thanks again!

1 Like

Here is a nice example I found recently:
Setting up Calibre-Web and NextCloud for use with koreader

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.