How can I test my backups ? (on my vm)

:uk:/:us: How can I test my backups ?

My YunoHost server

Hardware: VPS bought online (domain name in ynh.fr provided by yunohost)
YunoHost version: 11.0.11
I have access to my server: By SSH | By the webadmin

Description of the problem

Hello,

First of all, a big thank you for this project, I was able to easily host all the applications I needed on my VPS, even though it was all new for me :slight_smile:

As I said, my yunohost is hosted on my VPS, I make regular backups and I would like to be able to test these backups. The strategy I adopted is to have installed a yunohost on a vm (without doing the postinstall). So when I want to test a backup, I retrieve it in scp from the vm, then I restore it on my vm. With the logs, I can already see if the restore is successful. But now I would like to be able to access my different applications on my vm to check that everything has been restored (for example, check the pages of my wiki). I can access the admin web interface using the vm’s ip address (retrieved with “hostname -I”), but as soon as I want to access the user interface, I’m redirected to my domain name, which is now my VPS. I can’t find how to access the user interface of the yunohost hosted on my vm :thinking:

Several questions :

• First of all, does it seem relevant to you to test the VPS backups on a vm? Are there more appropriate strategies?
  • Is there a way to test a backup on a vm? Is there a way to test a backup on a vm? Doesn’t the backup contain information that is specific to the installation on the VPS (domain name, ipfor example)?
  • How can I access the user interface of the yunohost hosted on my vm? How come I can access the admin interface and the user interface is redirected to the domain name?

Thanks to you,
Robin

:fr: Comment tester mes backup ?

Mon serveur YunoHost

Matériel: VPS acheté en ligne (nom de domaine en ynh.fr, fourni par yunohost)
Version de YunoHost: 11.0.11
J’ai accès à mon serveur : En SSH | Par la webadmin

Description du problème

Bonjour,

Tout d’abord, un grand merci pour ce projet, j’ai pu très facilement héberger toutes les applications dont j’avais besoin sur mon VPS, alors que tout cela était nouveau pour moi :slight_smile:

Comme je l’ai dit, mon yunohost est hébergé sur mon VPS, je fais régulièrement des backup et j’aimerais pouvoir tester ces backup. La stratégie que j’ai adoptée est d’avoir installé un yunohost sur une vm (sans faire la postinstall). Ainsi quand je veux tester un backup, je le récupère en scp depuis la vm, puis je le restaure sur ma vm. Avec les logs, je peux déjà voir si la restauration est un succès. Mais à présent je voudrais pouvoir accéder aux différentes applications de ma vm pour vérifier que tout a bien été restauré (par exemple, vérifier les pages de mon wiki). Je peux accéder à l’interface web admin à l’aide de l’adresse ip de la vm (récupérée sur ma vm via “hostname -I”), mais dès que je veux accéder à l’interface utilisateur, je suis redirigé vers mon nom de domaine, qui du coup correspond à mon VPS. Je ne trouve pas comment accéder à l’interface utilisateur du yunohost hébergé sur ma vm :thinking:

Plusieurs questions :

• DĂ©jĂ , est-ce que ça vous semble pertinent de tester les backup du VPS sur une vm ? Est-ce qu’il y a des stratĂ©gies plus appropriĂ©es ?
  • Est-ce qu’il y a moyen de tester proprement un backup sur une vm ? Est-ce que, dans le backup, il n’y a pas des informations qui sont propres Ă  l’installation sur le VPS ? (nom de domaine, ou ip par exemple)
  • Comment est-ce que je pourrais accĂ©der Ă  l’interface utilisateur du yunohost hĂ©bergĂ© sur ma vm ? Comment se fait-t-il que je puisse accĂ©der Ă  l’interface admin et que l’interface utilisateur est redirigĂ©e vers le nom de domaine ?

Merci Ă  vous,
Robin

:us:/:uk:
Hello, does anyone have and idea about this ? Thanks !

i read this correctly you make backups and want to test them on a vm but the vm keeps sending you to the live domain?

in that case on the vm, add a new domain the free one yunohost gives and each application change the yunohost domain to that and replace the live domain and see if you can access all your applications one by one doing that.

also create sub-domains for each test and the yunohost domain for main sso domain

example:
live wordpress would be example.com
vm test: wordpress.example.com
live sso: sso.example.com/yunohost/sso
vm test: ssotest.example.com/yunohost/sso
live admin sso: ssotest.example.com/yunohost/admin/#/
vm test admin: ssotest.example.com/yunohost/admin/#/

I suggest a better alternative to the solution of karadanvers.

You can use the hosts file in your laptop (/etc/hosts if you are under linux or C:/Windows/system32/drivers/hosts under windows).

Here you can change which ip is associated to which domain (but the change only works on your laptop of course).

Like that you can test everything is ok without changing your DNS zone :slight_smile:

An intermediate solution could be to check that db.sql (or dump.sql) in each app backup is not empty. This can be automated but doesn’t guarantee that the server could be restored automatically.

Thanks for your suggestions, I will try that.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.