Help for new app packaging : Galène (videoconferencing)

I would like to package Galène for Yunohost.
But, even if the manual installation seems to be easier that some others videoconferencing apps, it’s still out of my knowledge (how to setup a turn server, integrate it in Yunohost and so on).
Anyone here interested and willing to help ? :slight_smile:

App presentation

It’s a videoconferencing app mainly aimed at teaching with 1-to-many video and screen sharing, but also capable of many-to-many audio and video sharing (as other tools do).
It is said to be developed as a lighter alternative to BigBlueButton.

Current (main) features, according to their website:

• audio / video / screensharing
  • text chat
  • whiteboard, multiple screensharing
  • subgroups
  • recording
  • mobile support
  • (local) audio or video playback

This app seems to be quite lightweight, and way more accessible to most Yunohost users (while BigBlueButton isn’t).

(French) short presentation: https://linuxfr.org/news/galene-un-serveur-de-videoconference-libre
Github repository: https://github.com/jech/galene

3 Likes

Hey,

Galène looks interesting indeed, especially about the lightness aspect.
It’s been a long time I would like to learn about packaging apps for yunohost. There are some apps I would like to package for it, but I didn’t find time and motivation so far to do it.

If you are motivated to work on packaging Galène, I’d be motivated to work with you, and learn together how to do it.
In general I have knowledge about server administration (even if very partial), so I can help on that, but it’s more the understanding of yunohost packaging (helpers and configurations…) that I lack and would be happy to get to learn.

If you’re interested in working on Galène together, tell me :wink:

2 Likes

Don’t hesitate in case you need help, there’s a app packaging chatroom and we can even schedule a small audio meeting to get you started with all the basic stuff you need to know

2 Likes

Well, @ericg did it again :joy: :rocket: :clap:

4 Likes

Currently the app doesn’t seem to be completely finished, there no TURN server implemented so everything seems to work well but streams (audio/video) transfers to the server.
Until it’s fixed, if you run a synapse server you can reuse its TURN server : No stream sharing ? · Issue #10 · YunoHost-Apps/galene_ynh · GitHub

Thanks for the packaging.
The first installation worked fine on my sandbox but I have errors for the update (0.2~ynh1 to 0.2~ynh3)
Here are the logs if that can help :
https://paste.yunohost.org/raw/epayuquses

Hosted on a VPN
YunoHost 4.1.5 (stable)

Hello @adepetigny thanks for trying Galène package!
galene_ynh had a lot of code added with the addition of the TURN server so upgrading from 0.2~ynh1 to 0.2~ynh3 may not work. My advice is to delete the old version and replace it with the new one … This package is new and needs fine tuning. we are trying to find the right settings so that it works out of the box.

2 Likes

New version available :tada: Release Galène 0.3 · YunoHost-Apps/galene_ynh · GitHub

(edit: not yet integrated in Yunohost, but it’s ongoing : Galène 0.3 by ericgaspar · Pull Request #19 · YunoHost-Apps/galene_ynh · GitHub)

2 Likes

Hi, I just install the packadge 0.3.2~ynh1 and follow all the config steps. Everything seems fine… Except when I go on the galene subdomain :grin:. I get this message :

Welcome to nginx!
If you see this page, the nginx web server is successfully installed and working. Further configuration is required.
For online documentation and support please refer to nginx.org.
Commercial support is available at nginx.com.
Thank you for using nginx.

I uninstall/reinstall galene with the same result. Did I missed something ?

I am not sure if it is relevant but the folder /etc/nginx/sites-available does not contain my subdomain, only default.
Also, there is no galene nor subdomain in the /var/www folder

YunoHost 4.1.7.2

ping @ericg

mmmh, I just reinstalled galène on my server and i can’t reproduce that…
can you try with cli? sudo yunohost app install https://github.com/YunoHost-Apps/galene_ynh/

root@nocloud:/# sudo yunohost app install GitHub - YunoHost-Apps/galene_ynh: Galène package for YunoHost
Error: galene is already installed
root@nocloud:/#

I tried to locate where are its files:

root@nocloud:/# find -iname galene
./opt/yunohost/galene
./opt/yunohost/galene/galene
find: ‘./proc/17034’: No such file or directory
./var/log/galene
./etc/yunohost/apps/galene
./etc/logrotate.d/galene
./etc/galene

Maybe it has to do with the sub domain install and not the galene packadge…
Here is my log from the install of sub domain:

yunohost domain add visio.nocloud.ynh.fr

Success! Self-signed certificate now installed for the domain ‘visio.nocloud.ynh.fr

Success! Configuration updated for ‘postfix’

Info: The configuration file ‘/etc/dnsmasq.d/01-pihole.conf’ is expected to be deleted by regen-conf (category dnsmasq) but was kept back.

Success! Configuration updated for ‘metronome’

Success! Configuration updated for ‘nginx’

Success! Domain created

Hi @ericg, I think it is a problem with the conf of the reverse proxy in the packadge, probably in a situation of installation for a subdomain.
I have the problem on visio.nocloud.ynh.fr
But it works fine with visio.nocloud.ynh.fr:8443
I saw config files in /etc/nginx/config.d concerning galene and the subdomain visio but I have no idea what it means :grin:.

That’s strange, I did install it on a subdomain, and it worked… I’ll try the last version to be sure.

Have you generated a Let’s encrypt certificate for this subdomain? I guess you did, I can access to visio.nocloud.ynh.fr
edit. I have tested you Galène instance.Turn server seems active.

Yes I generated a Let’s Encrypt certificate, but it still warn that it is an autosign certificate when connecting with Firefox on 8443.
Do you have the default nginx message on port 80?
The only thing wrong with my install of yunohost is the pihole-FTL that do not start. I read somewhere that it’s not problematic…

Hi @ericg and @Lapineige, just to say that I reinstalled on a newer subdomain and everything is working well.

The only difference I see is that during the first install in error, I made the Let’s Encrypt certificate after installing galene.

Many thanks for for help :+1:
Steven

1 Like

Great to see your problem resolved :slight_smile:

Hello and thanks for this app.

Does anyone know how to record a conference?