Having issues upgrading from 4.2.6.1 to 4.3.6.3

My YunoHost server

Hardware: VPS
YunoHost version: 4.2.6.1
I have access to my server : Through SSH
Are you in a special context or did you perform some particular tweaking on your YunoHost instance ? : I’m running 4.2.6.1 on Debian 11.

Description of my issue

I’m trying to upgrade from 4.2.6.1 to 4.3.6.3 and I’m running into an issue, the last few lines of the log are below and the full log is here.

WARNING: The following essential packages will be removed.
This should NOT be done unless you know exactly what you are doing!
  yunohost ssowat (due to yunohost)
20 upgraded, 5 newly installed, 5 to remove and 34 not upgraded.
E: Essential packages were removed and -y was used without --allow-remove-essential.
Done!

Thank you to whoever is looking this, I appreciate it. :heart:

Let me know if I can provide another details! :slight_smile:

What command do you use ?
Do you try with sudo yunohost update (or something like that) ?

1 Like

What command do you use ?
Do you try with sudo yunohost update (or something like that) ?

I’m clicking the “Upgrade all packages” button in the admin.

I have a little more insights to provide - I realized that the server is on Debian 11 (Bullseye), which from what I’m reading isn’t fully supported yet. I’m guessing this is why I’m running into issues.

Is there a way to keep Debian 11 and upgrade Yunohost, either to 4.3.6.3 or to this beta version?

How is it possible to be on Debian 11 but on Yunohost 4 ? :astonished:

Did you check in the webadmin in tools > migrations if there are some migrations available ?

1 Like

How is it possible to be on Debian 11 but on Yunohost 4 ? :astonished:

I was having issues with my VPS and I followed their instructions, which was to update etc/apt/sources.list, and then upgraded. :face_with_diagonal_mouth: :grimacing:

Did you check in the webadmin in tools > migrations if there are some migrations available ?

I wasn’t aware of the migrations area :blush: but unfortunately there aren’t any pending ones.

I think that’s what you have to write at “Are you in a special context or did you perform some particular tweaking on your YunoHost instance ?”

Anyway, I would try the real migration to Yunohost 11 (which is already very stable for me) : curl https://install.yunohost.org/switchtoTesting | bash

(I’m just a user, I can’t code or anything so I’m maybe not the best to help you more…)

1 Like

I think that’s what you have to write at “Are you in a special context or did you perform some particular tweaking on your YunoHost instance ?”

Ah yes, I should have done that, but didn’t realize it at the time. Thank you for pointing this out.

Anyway, I would try the real migration to Yunohost 11 (which is already very stable for me) : curl https://install.yunohost.org/switchtoTesting | bash

I just tried it and I get the same message:

WARNING: The following essential packages will be removed.
This should NOT be done unless you know exactly what you are doing!
  yunohost ssowat (due to yunohost)
21 upgraded, 5 newly installed, 5 to remove and 34 not upgraded.
E: Essential packages were removed and -y was used without --allow-remove-essential.

(I’m just a user, I can’t code or anything so I’m maybe not the best to help you more…)

No worries, I appreciate your help! :smiley:

I ended up starting over with Debian 11 and YunoHost 11, so far everything is working as expected! :+1:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.