Gotosocial, a fediverse server written in Golang

what risk? of being used by someone else? if so, the risk is almost non existent, yes

thank you for the reply (and apologies for the delay in mine)

I technically fall under those criteria, but it is still an account for a corporation that sells things, and i don’t feel like it fits the intent of an anti-capitalist license.

I’d be worried something in the future would change and I’d no longer qualify under the license. and I am very particular about following licenses (esp. FOSS)

but with the URL issue i wouldn’t be able to change software easily if that happens, and so I’ll need to be more considerate in what I choose.

It is a shame, I do think GoToSocial is a great bit of software.

thank you for your hard work on these packages, it is appreciated.

1 Like

Hi,

upgrade to v0.15-ynh1 went fine (as usual :pray: , thanks to @OniriCorpe )

• new theme selector per user (https://domain.tld/user)
  • migration to/from other activitypub compatible software (i.e. mastodon)

Release Notes

2 Likes

my ynh is amd64 server, updated, and gts is latest 0.15

Hi, I’m trying to migrate my instance to another server but I have some problems with postgresql database. It’s empty after restoring backup file.

Here latest log https://paste.yunohost.org/raw/bokimogafu but I’ve tried several procedures without success.

It seems like ynh does not import database entries, just creates its structure.

My first attempt was using borg backup, even from different days, but also tried using YNH admin interface to manually create a new one and both backups (borg and ynh) contain a big db.sql file under var (in the backup .tar archive), about 1,3GB, so I guess it is populated with all my posts and interactions. After moving it is only 10MB

But restoring these backups then I have not even my local users nor any other entry.

I thought it might be a corrupt database, so I’ve tried with several backups. Current instance works fine apparently (it is turned off now).

Restoring process reports no errors.

Please would anyone suggest any cause of this issue? thank you

hi!

ah yes sorry the line for that was missing in the restoration script :grimacing:

it should be fixed now

can you upgrade your installation on the old server with this command:
yunohost app upgrade gotosocial -u https://github.com/YunoHost-Apps/gotosocial_ynh/tree/testing

then backup and restore on the new server as usual and tell me if it’s fixed ^w^

1 Like

I’ve just upgrade/move/restart now and it seems solved :ok_hand: (all behaving as usual)

now tweaking some personal issues in the new server, I hope I do not break anything :hugs:

thank you.

(I hesitated posting about this issue, wasting several hours, because I had some compromises in the old server that I thought were affecting backup process, but I think it is a good practice to make public this issues, so at least someone may point us in the right direction. If there is one :smile_cat: )

have a nice day

Edit: just for clarification

was this a problem with the “reinstall” script or the “backup” script? If the later then I can delete all my backups in the repo, because they would be “useless”; but if it was a problem with reinstall from backup then they are still valid and worth keeping.

:warning:
this is an answer to messages (24 to 29) posted in another topic: [Docker] Docker containers and management in YunoHost! - #24 by pepecyb
about the fact that the package of GoToSocial is using a limitative “post open source” license
I relocated the discussion here because it was out of subject
the post quoted some parts of the discussions, you can read the full discussion by clicking on the link above

first, I would like to apologize for the crude “lmao” which was an impulsive and unconstructive reply

if you still define yourself by the past, that’s your problem, but the license is compatible with a former police officer who now understands that his former job is a tool for authoritarian control of populations, for example

the license considers the present, not past acts

it’s perfectly fine to license a package under a different license than the packaged app, because the package does not use code from the packaged app, it’s a totally different software

it’s pretty easy in fact: if you’re in doubt, it probably means that’s the case :woman_shrugging:

anyway, I wrote a whole text to explain my choice in details, I encourage you to read it to understand my views: Why am I publishing under a non-FLOSS license?
I had originally intended to write a constructed answer just for you, but in the end the text was written as an explanation that could be addressed to anyone, even people who are not familiar with YunoHost at all

2 Likes

Thank you very much for the really detailed answer and the explanations regarding the decision for the chosen licence.

I am now out of the discussion and do not wish to continue.

The original thread wasn’t actually intended to lead to a discussion of principles, I was really just asking whether other users had any experience with the installation as a Docker container.

I suspect that there is no experience.

GTS is not currently my priority either… but if I ever have the time and desire, I will simply try to realise it with Docker on YH and pass on my experiences. To ALL! :wink: :smiley:

1 Like

yes I know, if it wasn’t clear you can still ask for help for that in the docker topic, it’s okay!
the only thing I wanted to do as a moderator was to act to return the topic in the subject, and I never meant to question your request for help there, only the ensuing discussion on the license, which belongs on the topic related to the package itself, so here!

I think the easiest way to install GTS on your server without the package is using the official documentation, which explain how to do it using or not Docker: Installation - GoToSocial Documentation

in any case I have nothing personal against you or the other people involved in the discussion

have a good day, evening, sleep or whatever!

I took time to read your link explaining your choices. You must be a very distressed person and I truly apologise for what you seem to be suffering from other people. I admire your energy trying to build a better world but I have to say I’m a little bit struggling to find the logical link between what you express in your text and your choice of license.

I don’t see how your license clearly excluding certain categories of people from using your package would make the world better.

As per the (unclear) definition your license is using, I probably fall under the type of people you don’t want to be using your work, and I will fully respect that, but you don’t know anything about me and I’m pretty sure if we had a chance to meet in person and if you’d know all things I do and have done for disabled / distressed / poor peoples you would see how unrealistic these criteria are to serve your personal goal. I don’t say this to brag, just to say that the world is not as binary as the license you used would like it to be.

Moreover, I would like to add that when compared to the upstream repository work (the people really building the software I’m packaging) and the Yunohost team (the people really making the magic possible to download, compile and install a super complex software with a few lines of script) I tend to see my packaging work as the smallest and lightest link in the chain, and that (in my view) this link shouldn’t be the most restrictive.

I won’t use your package and don’t have any plans to use GTS anyway. I thank you for the help you gave me occasionally on the packagers chat and wish you good luck in the future.

1 Like