Gotosocial, a fediverse server written in Golang

in the admin page, (which, btw, i can only access through this link), go to Administration → Custom emoji → Remote and paste the link to the toot.

1 Like

Hi! yes, with previous version worked fine :ok_hand:

I have not tested with 0.8, but if it does not work in your instance check if you are trying to “steal” emojis from a followers only/private status.

Edited

I’ve tested this feature right now

pressed “Copy to local emoji” to add those two and it worked as expected :smiley_cat:

1 Like

i just tried and it worked for me too!
but i had to use a different toot because the one i was using before has been deleted.

do you know if the toot has to be Public, as in Unlisted is already to private to be stolen?

also, just out of curiosity, what we client do you use? i’m currently on semaphore.social, but it is very limited.

:person_shrugging: IDK

Tusky on the android and pinafore.social (same as you) in the browser. Most limitations are from GtS itself. You may want to try elk.zone too

2 Likes

I’ve lost bookmarks :person_shrugging: after upgrading.

It was an upstream bug, fixed with the v0.8.1 ^w^

2 Likes

Hi :smiley_cat:

I’m trying to move my gotosocial to a new server (both yunohost), but restoring backup file fails [log here]

Currently it is installed in a raspi4

uname -a
Linux domain.tld 6.1.21-v8+ #1642 SMP PREEMPT Mon Apr  3 17:24:16 BST 2023 aarch64 GNU/Linux

and I want to move to debian vps

Linux domain.tld 5.10.0-25-cloud-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.10.191-1 (2023-08-16) x86_64 GNU/Linux

Could it be a gotosocial binary version problem from one system to the other?

Should I proceed in any particular way? Thank you.

update: I’ve configured domain.tld, DNS and added ssl certificate from letsencrypt before trying to restore gts

Hi @ghose :slight_smile:

On backup, YNH take the whole directory, including the binary
And on restore, it simply restore that directory with the same exact files

GoToSocial have multiple binaries, one for each major CPU architectures, so your previous install was with the ARM architecture (so the ARM binary), and your new server uses the x86_64 architecture (so the x86_64 binary), so it’s definitively a binary incompatibility
Your server tries so execute an ARM binary on a x86_64 CPU, which returns a “Exec format error”

To solve this, restore your backup as you normally do, then force update your GTS install with the following command:

sudo yunohost app upgrade gotosocial__2 --force

The upgrade process will replace the binary with the good one for your architecture and all will be fine :slight_smile:

Thank you. Yes, I suspected that.

:upside_down_face: but how could I upgrade if it is not actually installed/restored (because the backup restoring cleans its jobs after failing)

The problem is that I was trying to restore the backup but fails to do so, so the process of restoring does not finish

It is not that once it is restored then GtS fails to start, what fails is the restoring process itself.

I have tried to restore backup using admin web interface. The only way I guess I could proceed is restoring from CLI and when the script reaches this point

2023-09-01 03:17:36,155: DEBUG - + systemctl start gotosocial__2
2023-09-01 03:17:36,209: WARNING - Job for gotosocial__2.service failed because the control process exited with error code.

then manually stop it (Ctrl-Z -C or a hammer) before it gets to:

2023-09-01 03:17:36,270: DEBUG - + [[ restore =~ ^install$|^upgrade$|^restore$ ]]
2023-09-01 03:17:36,270: WARNING - [Error]
2023-09-01 03:17:36,775: DEBUG - + ynh_clean_setup
2023-09-01 03:17:36,775: DEBUG - + true

Maybe I’m overthinking this :roll_eyes: and it is all much easier, but I don’t know how to proceed. How to prevent gotosocial.service to start so I can then --force upgrade?

Appreaciate your time and help, thank you.

Hmmm yes

I’ll soon edit the restore script to refresh the binary fir unlocking you, maybe today, maybe tomorrow

I’m sorry for the inconvenience :confused:

1 Like

:pray: oh no! thank YOU.

Please take your time and enjoy weekend (if possible), I can wait.

thanks

1 Like

Oy!

Can you make a new backup your rapsi GTS instance before anything? As a safety mesure

Then upgrade you raspi instance withe this command?
sudo yunohost app upgrade gotosocial__2 -u https://github.com/YunoHost-Apps/gotosocial_ynh/tree/testing

Then backup again your raspi GTS installation and restore it on your VPS?

I tried to detect a mismatch between the current machine architecture and the one of the restored binary
And download the good binary in case of detected incompatibility

:smiley: :tada:

root@domain.tld:~# yunohost backup restore gts20230903  --apps gotosocial__2
Info: Preparing archive for restoration...
Info: Restoring gotosocial__2...
Info: [....................] > Loading installation settings...
Info: [+...................] > Validating restoration parameters...
Info: [#+..................] > Restoring the NGINX configuration...
Info: [##..................] > Recreating the dedicated system user...
Info: [##+.................] > Restoring the app main directory...
Info: [###++++.............] > Restoring the data directory...
Info: [#######+++..........] > Reinstalling dependencies...
Info: [##########++++......] > Restoring the PostgreSQL database...
Warning: ERROR:  syntax error at or near "Wi"
Warning: LINE 1: Wi-Fi is currently blocked by rfkill.
Warning:         ^
Info: [##############+.....] > Setting up source files...
Info: [###############.....] > Migrating binary architecture...
Info: [###############+....] > Restoring the systemd configuration...
Info: [################+...] > Integrating service in YunoHost...
Info: [#################...] > Starting a systemd service...
Info: [#################+..] > Restoring the logrotate configuration...
Info: [##################+.] > Reloading NGINX web server...
Info: [####################] > Restoration completed for gotosocial__2
Success! Restoration completed
apps: 
  gotosocial__2: Success
system: 
root@domain.tld:~#

:people_hugging:

2 Likes

Important note:

From now on this package will use the “i’m so tired” software license 1.0, please read it and accept it before proceeding with installation or update

I don’t want my work to be used by people who denigrate me, make my life harder or wish me dead

3 Likes

Apologies for the question: I’ve been testing GoToSocial on my small business server (which uses YUNOHost) hoping to use it for my Fediverse microblogging.

I just saw this post about the license change, and if I understand things correctly, I need to uninstall GoToSocial, is that correct?

Does removing GoToSocial still prevent the URL from being used by another software for federation?

1 Like

it depends on your business organisation

accordingly to the license:

1. the user is one of the following:
    a. an individual person, labouring for themselves
    b. (…) c. (…)
    d. an organization that seeks shared profit for all of its members, and allows non-members to set the cost of their labor

2. if the user is an organization with owners, then all owners are workers and all workers are owners with equal equity and/or equal vote.

so :

• if you work alone in a company you own, it’s okay
  • if there are several of you in the company, it basically has to be a cooperative

is that clearer?
is this blocking you? if so, can you describe your business to me?

I don’t want blocking fair and ethical business from using my package

unfortunately, yes, it’s a federation problem
this problem is present with any fediverse software :confused:

:open_mouth:

is this license change compatible with https://github.com/superseriousbusiness/gotosocial/blob/main/LICENSE ?

Permissions of this strongest copyleft license are conditioned on making available complete source code of licensed works and modifications, which include larger works using a licensed work, under the same license. Copyright and license notices must be preserved. Contributors provide an express grant of patent rights. When a modified version is used to provide a service over a network, the complete source code of the modified version must be made available.

I personally do not feel afected by your license change, and I’m not an expert in this legal issues, but it is worth consideration even at yunohost (as a platform).

thank you.

1 Like

yes it is, the package don’t use GTS code at all

a ynh package “simply” automatizes the work behind installation, maintenance, etc, so it doesn’t need the source code or whatever, and so it’s not a derivative work
it’s this automation code who changed licence, which is independent from the GTS code

i hope it’s clear ^w^

3 Likes

Uh, why is that ? If you keep owning the domain name, nobody can claim an instance on that domain :thinking:

idk, it wasn’t me who decided that
but if we ever seen dead instances being revived to pump out data on the fedi
it’s a security issue, and i’m nobody to say if it’s a good one or not
all I do is warn about it’s existence

What I don’t understand is : if you keep owning the domain name, is there any risk ?