Gotosocial, a fediverse server written in Golang

:warning:
this is an answer to messages (24 to 29) posted in another topic: [Docker] Docker containers and management in YunoHost! - #24 by pepecyb
about the fact that the package of GoToSocial is using a limitative “post open source” license
I relocated the discussion here because it was out of subject
the post quoted some parts of the discussions, you can read the full discussion by clicking on the link above

first, I would like to apologize for the crude “lmao” which was an impulsive and unconstructive reply

if you still define yourself by the past, that’s your problem, but the license is compatible with a former police officer who now understands that his former job is a tool for authoritarian control of populations, for example

the license considers the present, not past acts

it’s perfectly fine to license a package under a different license than the packaged app, because the package does not use code from the packaged app, it’s a totally different software

it’s pretty easy in fact: if you’re in doubt, it probably means that’s the case :woman_shrugging:

anyway, I wrote a whole text to explain my choice in details, I encourage you to read it to understand my views: Why am I publishing under a non-FLOSS license?
I had originally intended to write a constructed answer just for you, but in the end the text was written as an explanation that could be addressed to anyone, even people who are not familiar with YunoHost at all

2 Likes