[glich-soc] A glitchy but lovable microblogging server

glitch-soc for YunoHost

Integration level
Install Glitch-Soc with YunoHost

Lire ce readme en français.

This package allows you to install Glitch-Soc quickly and simply on a YunoHost server.
If you don’t have YunoHost, please consult the guide to learn how to install it.

Overview

glitch-soc is a friendly fork of the open-source social media software Mastodon, with the aim of providing additional features at the risk of potentially less stable software.

What’s different from Mastodon?

glitch-soc adds a number of experimental features to Mastodon, such as:

• Media improvements
    • Images inside the CW spoiler
    • fullwidth images
    • scaling options
  • Formatted toots
  • Reply selection in lists
  • Filter improvements
  • Highlighting of misleading links
  • Hiding follower count
  • An app settings modal
  • Collapsible toots
  • Toot visibility icons
  • Local-only toots
  • Threaded mode
  • data-* attributes on statuses
  • Advanced theming via flavours+skins
  • Doodle

See more on the documentation

Shipped version: see on GitHub

Disclaimers / important information

:warning: Glitch-Soc is beta software, and under active development. Use at your own risk!

Install

• This app require a dedicated domain or subdomain.
  • The user choosen during the installation is created in Glitch-Soc with admin rights.

LDAP authentication and SSO are enabled. All YunoHost users can authenticate.

We invite you to block remote malicious instances from the administration interface. You can also add text on your home page.

Known issues

Documentation and resources

Developer info

Please send your pull request to the testing branch.

To try the testing branch, please proceed like that.

sudo yunohost app install https://github.com/YunoHost-Apps/glitchsoc_ynh/tree/testing --debug
or
sudo yunohost app upgrade glitchsoc -u https://github.com/YunoHost-Apps/glitchsoc_ynh/tree/testing --debug
4 Likes

There is a security problem with Mastodon GlitchSoc edition.

This message for everyone on the fediverse:
First, please ensure you go into your account settings and enable two/multi factor authentication., if you are the admin of a mastodon instance running glitch-soc, please go upgrade to 4.0.2 ASAP.

Background:
Stealing passwords from infosec Mastodon - without bypassing CSP | PortSwigger Research

I have two problems:

1. I can’t update to the latest version when using YNH
  2. I can’t set 2FA as somehow my password is no longer accepted by mastodon… it seems as if YNH SSO takes care of logging in, but then when logged in, doesn’t allow me to enable 2FA

Maybe it is time to merge this one? @ericg

Merged, thank you for the ping!

1 Like

Thanks for the ping!
Last glitsh-soc master in testing right now Upgrade to version 2022.11.15 by github-actions[bot] · Pull Request #85 · YunoHost-Apps/glitchsoc_ynh · GitHub

1 Like

Maybe it’s something stupid… or it’s me… But it do not federate well… like it is a silo… Do I need to open a port or something like that?..

Any tips and tricks with the installation… ?? or is it just click and done…

I’m having this same issue (not being able to enable 2FA), were you able to get this working? :smiling_face:

no… still not possible… would love to get some pointers

the app is flagged broken and it’s impossible to install.
does anyone know what’s happening?

1 Like

(outdated)

1 Like

thank you very much for letting us know! :heart:

would i be able to go back to the stable version once available?

Yup, YunoHost always checks for update on the main branch. A new release will be available for update once published on the main branch.

1 Like

thank you very much once again. :smiling_face:

im finding myself again unable to install the app. :cry:
log here.

Sadly there’s no explicit error in the logs :confused:
Instead of the testing branch, can you try to install it from the catalog directly?

i tried that before the testing branch and it failed, that’s why i went testing.
here’s the new log.

two possible conflicts i can think of are:

• there is already a glitchsoc installed on my server. however, last time i did this, the second installation just got a different extension and worked.

• once, when trying to reinstall akkoma, it wouldn’t work because there was a “residual” akkoma folder left from previous installation. however, this time i can’t seem to find any residual glitchsoc___2 folder.

The log shows what command is failing, but not why…
One way to get a more verbose error would be to install the app with the --no-remove-on-failure flag, which will leave glitchsoc in a broken state, and then run the command by hand.

sudo yunohost app install glitchsoc --no-remove-on-failure

And then, as root, run: sudo -u glitchsoc__2 RAILS_ENV=production PATH=/opt/rbenv/versions/glitchsoc__2/bin:/opt/rbenv/shims:/opt/rbenv/bin:/opt/node_n/n/versions/node/16/bin:/opt/node_n/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libjemalloc.so bin/bundle exec rake mastodon:webpush:generate_vapid_key
Then you have to remove glitchsoc with sudo yunohost app remove glitchsoc__2

i receive this error sudo: bin/bundle: command not found when running the command im supposed to run as root (which i tried to run not as root as well and it gives me the same error).

i can’t find what this error is about (or im unable to understand).

any clue?

Ah, sorry I forgot something. You have to run cd /var/www/glitchsoc__2 then run the command above

1 Like

still getting the same error. :cry: