Gender-inclusive german?

Hello,
I am a former translator for freedombox (I translated into german language).
I was decried for using gender-inclusive language.
How is it here at Yunohost? Am I welcome to translate

• simply using “german”?
  • or should be initiated a “new language”: “german gender-inclusive / deutsch
    gendergerecht” so people can choose and the outmoded stay relaxed? And how to do that?

Best wishes
c lul :sloth:

Hello ! Well, you are welcome to translate.

About inclusive Gender, for instance, as far as I know, Yunohost didn’t take any decision even for french. Many members of Yunohost team are against inclusive gender language (I’m against, so I’m partial), other are for.

Creating a new language is a bit strange as german is not still fully translated… Moreover, language of Yunohost is language of the system (not sure what it will choose if it finds 2 languages for german).

In fact gender-inclusive language is (or became) a bit political and ideological in France (from my point of view), but I don’t know what is gender-inclusiveness in german (if it is something common… or not). Will you or another person maintain this ?

1 Like

Hello!
I am not sure, this is a common language in Germany and must also be an ideological issue…
I could help translating things into german if someone needs it.

Help is welcome. Documentation is still not translated into German (a big part). It may be useful for new users.

How doing it?

Documentation of Yunohost works like a wiki : you can either translate it frome the website https://yunohost.org/#/docs_de, either doing it on Github : https://github.com/YunoHost/doc

Thanks for raising this request @clul. I was now searching on for this topic because I have seen something on the homepage. For example, the “dude, Y U NO Host?!” can be seen as only speaking to “dudes”. I would see such an effort to broaden the language used in the communication of this project as a path towards being more welcoming to others.

4 Likes

so true!
decentralizing and autonomy/anti-authoritarianism – for what yunohost stands – are essentially very feminist ideas.
a critical use of language could make this project very attractive to people in the technofeminist/cyberfeminist movement who would bring along very valuable knowledge.

same thing with “john @ doe . org” -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_placeholder_names_by_language … what about
fulana @ alfulaniyya . org :wink:

1 Like

Ok cool! I sent you a message then. We should organise to do this :slight_smile:

1 Like

Even though I’m not speaking German, I’m feeling that we’re going to a way that could have consequences.

I you’re seriously considering using “inclusive” language, you should do it in a separate German locale, a kind of Inclusive German.
You may find people who want to have a inclusive language, but also other that won’t. To impose your view of the language to other is nothing like respectful or unifying.

So don’t consider that to impose inclusive language to everyone is very attractive or unifying. It will especially raise tensions and divide the community.

@Maniack_Crudelis

To impose your view

What? The OP asked “Am I welcome”. There is no imposition here, this is a question, discussion and a proposal so far.

So don’t consider …

Do not consider that your reply will be understood as supporting an open and welcoming discourse within the Yunohost project. Read https://blogs.gnome.org/christopherdavis/2019/07/21/the-paradox-of-tolerance/.

TLDR;

To be tolerant means to allow people from all walks of life into your space, regardless of race, sexual or gender identity, or other factors used to marginalize people within society. To go further, a good community should do more than tolerate them, but let them know that they are welcome and that they will not be marginalized within the community.

This is the goal of this proposal around language.

If the Yunohost project wants to appeal to more people, then it needs to consider this point. The project does not strike a more “neutral / agreeable / tolerant” position by not supporting this proposal.

2 Likes

Thanks for bringing this up!

I think Yunohost in this sense could benefit from an inclusive communication strategy as a whole (including wordings). I don’t know if people would be happy if new words are invented at this stage (like ‘hen’ in Sweden), but all other choice of words could of course be gender neutral.

If people would state that they want to continue a current tone of voice in the communication - like “dude, YUNOHOST?!” - then they are agreeing to the status quo of catering mostly to the male audience (or from the male perspective), whether they are aware of it or not.

Perhaps if you could give some examples of existing sentences on the site and how you would do them differently, may calm some people down. As they might realise it is not so different. If you do so, try to give a realistic impression in your choice of examples though, to avoid surprises later on.