Forgot ssh password for Yunohost instance

My YunoHost server

Hardware: VPS bought online
YunoHost version: 4.2.6.1
I have access to my server : Through admin portal only
Are you in a special context or did you perform some particular tweaking on your YunoHost instance ? : yes
If yes, please explain: I changed permissions around, but my admin user has ssh access…

Description of my issue

I know this is very stupid but basically I am not able to sign into my instance via SSH. I seem to have lost the password and now I cannot log in to use the yunohost command line tool or even resize my volumes…

I do have access to the admin panel but I can’t do much. Last time this happened I managed to recover using some method and made fail2ban not block my ip hence I can do multiple tries on getting the right password but otherwise Im really stuck right now. I do have my backups stored in a different external volume altogether but they are a few months old (cron job didn’t manage to backup due to insufficient space

If you’re able to login to the web admin interface, then that’s the same password. Be sure to log on ssh using the admin user (not root).

If you forgot your admin password but somehow are still connected to the admin interface, you can change it in Tools > Change admin password (i think the other day we noticed that it asks for the current admin password, but in fact doesn’t check if that’s the right one :thinking: )

2 Likes

So I do have the password for admin but I am not able to ssh still…

Well then can you elaborate what happens when you try then

Okay so I did manage to login using the admin username. I think I got really confused between various usernames that the root has (it has root, admin and my other name all pointing to be admin) so that was confusing… Thank you for the help!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.