Error installing YunoHost on VirtualBox

My YunoHost server

Hardware: XigmaNAS 12.2.0.4 - Ornithopter (revision 8458)
YunoHost version: 4.1.8 64bit
I have access to my server : not yet :frowning:
Are you in a special context or did you perform some particular tweaking on your YunoHost instance ? : no

Description of my issue

Hi all!
I would like to install Yunohost in a VirtualBox inside a XigmaNAS server. I downloaded the OS image and the checksum is correct. I configured the VM host as described on the yunohost website, and the installation process begins. I can choose the language, country and so on. Roughly in the middle of the core system installation it shows an error: the package cannot by unpacked, I can try five more times but then it stops.
I gave to the VM 3 GB of RAM, 2 CPUā€™s cores, and 16 GB of disk space. The network seems to be set correctly (according to the messages on the screen).
I have tried a couple of times, the first the error was during the unpacking of ā€œpasswdā€ and the second during the ā€œcore-utilsā€ (if I remember correctly).
I also tried to install it on my desktop within Parallels and I had no problem, so I guess the OS image is correct.
I wonder if I miss some points during the VM configuration.
Thank you for your help.

Generally when I get different errors in the same conditions, I think about hardware issues. I donā€™t have a nas server, so I donā€™t know how to check hardware health in a nas.

Hi jarod5001,
thank you for your answer. It could be an hardware issue, although it seems strange to me because until now I had no problem with the hard disk and the NAS is working regularly, but I can try to install to another hard disk.
The NAS has of course a limited hardware, just CPU, RAM and hard disk, and until now I had no problem, but thank you for the suggestion.

Unfortunately, even changing the hard disk, the error remains, this time (3 attempts) always at the ā€œpasswdā€ package.
Any other suggestion?
Thank you.

Hi Mailmasterc,

Welcome to the forums!

I didnā€™t know FreeNAS was renamed to XigmaNAS, looks good.

Is it running on regular Intel/AMD hardware? Seeing 3 GB of RAM for the VM, I expect you got more than 4 GB of RAM in total and a 64-bit BSD installation? If it were a 32-bit CPU Iā€™d say the installation canā€™t start at all though.

That is more than enough, installation runs fine on 512 MB of RAM and a few GB of space (though it wonā€™t hurt).

To exclude those, you could try installing a regular Debian 10 image. Afterwards install Yunohost followingthe ā€˜Remote serverā€™ installation manual.

Edit: thereā€™s some information on their forum about installing Debian in a jail, comparable to using containers on Linux. You could have a look at bhyve, which is mentioned there as well.

Hi wbk, thank you for your answer.

The XigmaNAS has 8 GB of RAM and an Intel i3 64 bit CPU, so the hardware requirements are met. The XigmaNAS installed is a 64 bit version. I set 3 GB of RAM for the installation just in case, but I can vary it accordingly, of course. The same for the CPU cores and the GB of hard disk, I wanted to stay ā€œsafeā€ under the hardware point of view. :slight_smile:

Good idea to start with Debian, thank you.

Honestly, since I was stuck with yunohost, I tried Freedombox and I managed to install it without a problem. They seem to me quite similar, to be honest I am just playing with the XigmaNAS to see what I can do, so I can try your debian suggestion but if I encounter more problems I just give up and explore the freedombox world. :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot.

1 Like

Peculiar! Maybe Freedombox is at Debian 11, with Yunohost at 10 for the moment. It could make the difference. I never used the Yunohost VM image, so my comments are not so useful in that regard :wink:

Freedombox is also a great project. Iā€™m sure youā€™ll get a lot out of your homeserver no matter which you install. Good luck!

1 Like

Hi wbk,

thank you for your support. I am not sure the debian version upon freedombox is based, but as long as it works for me, Iā€™m fine. Iā€™m not an expert, I just want to discover some more possibilities. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I played a lot with yunohost in VM.
I remember that installation failed one time when I had set the hard drive to 10 G. So I just deleted that VM and recreated a new one with bigger disk 20G.
I even tried to install it in an android phone but didnā€™t work.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.