Email not delivering to Gmail

My YunoHost server

Hardware: VPS bought online
YunoHost version: 11.0.9.14
I have access to my server : Through SSH
Are you in a special context or did you perform some particular tweaking on your YunoHost instance ? : no

Description of my issue

Hi guys,

hope you are doing fine. I have an issue with my emails not being delivered to Gmail? I know this probably has nothing to do with Yunohost but I hope you might have more experience with this. I know Gmail can be a pain with their anti-spam policy but sometimes the email go trough, sometimes not. Sometimes they appear in spam, sometimes not at allā€¦

Any ideas how to solve this? They get delivered to hotmail and to my other domains hosted on Yunohost. Havenā€™t checked more but I get a 8.9/10 on mail-tester.com and on SpamAssassin I get -1.1 (a score below -5 is considered spam).

Thanks

Hi,
Could you try to send mail only with ipv4 with this setting, it can improve the situation. Thereā€™s a setting in yunohost for that:

yunohost settings set smtp.allow_ipv6 -v False

If that doesnā€™t solve the problem, you can revert with the same command and the setting ā€˜Trueā€™ instead of ā€˜Falseā€™.

1 Like

If you could share the detailed reports we could ā€œcheck moreā€ than you. :wink:

1 Like

Just tried it. Same result unfortunately. Could you provide maybe an explanation why sending only over ipv4 might help? Thanks

I sent you the test results per private message so I can keep things private lol
Thanks

-0.1	DKIM_SIGNED	Message has a DKIM or DK signature, not necessarily valid
This rule is automatically applied if your email contains a DKIM signature but other positive rules will also be added if your DKIM signature is valid. See immediately below.

-1.274	RDNS_NONE	Delivered to internal network by a host with no rDNS
This may indicate you do not have a rDNS configured for your hostname or the rDNS does not match your sending IP

Please correctly set up your DNS and reverse DNS records: DNS zone configuration | Yunohost Documentation, especially the mail-related ones (SPF and DKIM). The DKIM key can be found in the Domains menu of the webadmin.

Edit: It looks like the DKIM is correct actually. :wink: Remains the rDNS.

If your server is assigned an IPv6 block below /64 in CIDR notation (e.g. OVH only gives VPS a unique /128 IPv6), it may get automatically blacklisted. Source.

1 Like

It says that rDNS is okay when I run the Diagnostics. Hereā€™s the result:

The rDNS which I have set inside my VPS Settings is the ā€œmainā€ domain used for YunoHost (which I think the Diagnostics actually recommended when I was run Diagnostics after the initial install). FYI: That ā€œmainā€ domain is different from the ones Iā€™m trying to send emails fromā€¦ Obviously I canā€™t set rDNS to the multiple domains I have on my server so thatā€™s a bit confusing. Thanks for your effort

EDIT: Just noticed these pending emails? LOL Those are the ones that got stuck. When I send another one to gmail that number increments, and when I send one that goes through it doesnā€™tā€¦

EDIT 2: I cleared the queue and sent another test email, then ran mailq in the command line and got this: -Queue ID- --Size-- ----Arrival Time---- -Sender/Recipient------- 798F88000D 682 Thu Sep 15 14:04:57 MYEMAIL@MYDOMAIN.COM (host alt1.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com[173.194.202.27] said: 550-5.7.25 [MY.IP.ADDR.HERE] The IP address sending this message does not have a 550-5.7.25 PTR record setup, or the corresponding forward DNS entry does not 550-5.7.25 point to the sending IP. As a policy, Gmail does not accept messages 550-5.7.25 from IPs with missing PTR records. Please visit 550-5.7.25 https://support.google.com/mail/answer/81126#ip-practices for more 450 4.7.25 information. t8-20020a170902e84800b00176939b5cd9si3297533plg.578 - gsmtp (in reply to end of DATA command)) RECEIVEREMAIL@GMAIL.COM
Okay, weā€™re getting somewhere. Will keep updating.

Ugh but thatā€™s puzzling considering your reverse DNS is correctly configured ? x_x Or are PTR records something else ? o_O

1 Like

Yup, according to the provided Google support page:

PTR records are also called Reverse DNS records.

Very confusing, if I figure it out Iā€™ll post here.

I fixed the problemā€¦ Had to remove Cloudflare from the main domain and the one Iā€™m trying to send emails from. Now itā€™s getting a 10/10 from mail-tester.com. I can do without Cloudflare but I like the stuff they offer so will investigate further.

@tituspijean @Aleks @metyun

Glad you fixed it!

Though using Cloudflare would have been an important information to share, especially since the main issue was about DNS. :stuck_out_tongue:

Lol sorryā€¦ but as far as I understood Cloudflare doesnā€™t proxy the email stuff, so based on my limited DNS knowledge I was thinking itā€™s not relevant.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.