Diskspace usage at 99% / Nextcloud trashbin takes a lot of space

My YunoHost server

Hardware: Raspberry Pi at home
YunoHost version: 4.3.6.3
I have access to my server : Through SSH | through the webadmin | d
Are you in a special context or did you perform some particular tweaking on your YunoHost instance ? : maybe:
I added an externa harddisk to use for media-storage, interfaced via nextcloud. Getting nextcloud working on it did not go smooth. See my other topic about > 1 year ago.

Description of my issue

I ran the diagnostics (adminpage) and it gave a warning that the SSD card was 99% full. But their should not be that much: only yunohost installed. Last week I removed nextcloud, and still 99% usage warning.
df -h said:

/dev/root        59G   56G  824M  99% /

but strange is that ncdu / only reports 19.2 GB.
(the above was with external harddisk unmounted)

I am out of options actually. Looking forward to your help.
peter

Weeeeeelll if df -h reports 99% usage then that doesnt sound like a bug in YunoHost, that sounds like something funky in the partitioning …

Can you share the full output of df -h ?

Hi Aleks, (no offense meant with “incorrect” :roll_eyes:)
It seems to be my classic beginnersfault: I did ncdu / , but should have done sudo ncdu / (which now did report a full SSD card).
Now I found that nextcloud left a very big trashbin, also for the one of my wife and daugther. (even after removing the app).
See the directory via ncdu:

/..
    8.1 GiB [##########] /files_trashbin
    2.0 GiB [##        ] /files
   51.4 MiB [          ] /files_versions
e  20.0 KiB [          ] /uploads
e   4.0 KiB [          ] /cache           ```

I will anyhow store the data on the external (bigger) harddisk, but: 
What could have gone 'wrong' here? 
Should I delete the files from the trashbin via the terminal ? 
And install nextcloud again, and adjust some setting to prevent getting such a big trashbin again? 

Looking forward to your answer. 
Best regards, peter

I dunno, can’t you simply empty the trashbin from Nextcloud itself …? (I don’t have an extensive knowledge of Nextcloud)

yes, delete the trashbin files, unless you need them. Nextcloud keeps the files for like 30 days or something, so if you’re putting big files on there and deleting them quickly, the trash fills up quickly.

check out this page
https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/15/admin_manual/configuration_server/occ_command.html#trashbin-label

You should also consider to adapt config.php with trashbin and versions parameters which default with:

'trashbin_retention_obligation' => 'auto',
'versions_retention_obligation' => 'auto',

auto means “keeps files and folders in the trash bin for 30 days and automatically deletes anytime after that if space is needed” (source). I doubt Nextcloud will handle this correctly, so prefer to set it manually, for example to keep only 30 days:

'trashbin_retention_obligation' => 'auto, 30',
'versions_retention_obligation' => 'auto, 30',

Moreover, you could also consider reduce operations history that inflates database a lot:

'activity_expire_days' => 365,
3 Likes

thanks Tmichel !,
I’m still strugling with the reinstallation of yunohost, but will surely implement these settings.
peter

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.