Debian Jessie released

Hi folks,

Debian Jessie has been released :wink:

As you know we are actually working on YunoHost 2.2.
For more information about the improvement read the roadmap.
Our future work, for YunoHost 2.2, will be the migration to Debian Jessie.

Do not upgrade to Debian Jessie, because this could break your instance.

That is a very good news !

And yes i also tried (by curiosity) to upgrade to jessie on a test instance, and indeed it totally breaks it!

Very good news indeed!

Just to be sure: will Yunohost rely on systemd?

Hello,

Iā€™ve just read these news, just a little bit too lateā€¦ ;-/

My habit is to always put names like ā€œstableā€ or ā€œtestingā€ in my sources.list: by doing this way, I get a sort of semi-permanent rolling-debian-release.

It usually works wellā€¦ except today on my yunohost boxā€¦
And now I understand whyā€¦ Oops.
No worries, Iā€™ll wait until 2.1 is out. Or Iā€™ll try to switch back to Wheezy, if Iā€™m in a good mood.
@laskameleonart, did you try downgrading back to Wheezy, for curiosity also?

Cheers, and thanks for the hard work for making Yunohost!
ƀ+
PierreBoulet

Hi Pierre ;

Not i did not, never thought about that, sorry ^^

I am in an adventurous mood this morning, so Iā€™ll try that.
Just in case someone else as dumb as me also scr3wed up, Iā€™ll keep you informedā€¦

At the moment, I just replaced all ā€œstableā€ by ā€œwheezyā€ in my

/etc/apt/sources.list

And I run:

apt-get update && apt-get -f dist-upgrade 

Waiting (slow Internet connexion here)ā€¦

Ach!

Des erreurs ont ƩtƩ rencontrƩes pendant l'exƩcution :
 /var/cache/apt/archives/yunohost-config-tahoe_2.0-rc1~megusta1_all.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Okay, Iā€™ll try to play with aptitude a bit, to find out whatā€™s going wrong.
ā€”8--- Lunch break (not yet)ā€¦ ā€”8---

Yep, YunoHost will rely on systemd.

After numerous apt-getā€™s update, dist-upgrade, aptitude, resolution of conflicts, etc., my yunohost-powered server is miraculously running again.
;o)

Iā€™m always baffled how stable a Debian can be, no matter how hard you try to break itā€¦

Yes, Iā€™m impressed too ! I also update my server, and it is still running. But some stuff is broken (metronome on the raspberry (I had to recompile it), web admin and some applications ā€¦ ). Iā€™ll certainly reinstall yunohost completely soon.

Oops. I have parled trop vite.
During a little storm yesterday, power went down, and now my server just shows me a grub> promptā€¦ :unamused:

Since jessie is stable : unable to install a new yunohost (with yunohostv2-latest-amd64.iso) . All mirror is for jessie.

Then :
WARNING **: mirror does not support the specified release (wheezy)

:slight_smile:

PS: bug reported : https://github.com/YunoHost/rebuildd/issues/1, hope itā€™s the good place.

Well, I think I may well have also to re-install yunohostā€¦ If your machine runs, just donā€™t reboot it! Iā€™m stuck now, grub re-installation while chrootā€™ed has failed, so far.

So, in case of a re-installation of yunohost, is there a procedure to keep or save/restore the data from the previous installation (configuration, data, databases, etc.)?

At the moment, my server is still stuck in a dependency hell, within the chrooted environment, all attempts to restore grub have failed, so farā€¦

Hello,
In the changelog you said you added a backup system.
Can we use it from the web interface? I tried to upgrade my system but this feature did not appear :frowning:
Thanks

Hi,
Things have evolved, in the good direction so that it should be time to upgrade to Debian Jessie by now.
Iā€™m just about to try. Will keep you guys informedā€¦

Well, I havenā€™t had much luck yetā€¦ I may consider restarting all over again, and re-installing a Jessie from scratchā€¦

=> Very unfortunately, thatā€™s what I just did, ā€œla mort dans lā€™Ć¢meā€. I tried very hard to recover the previous installation, but I eventually gave upā€¦ Sigh.

Fresh Install on Jessie at DigitalOcean successfully
But iā€™d need to do that before : define a password for root and add a user [yhn] into sudo group

# apt-get install sudo

# passwd root

# adduser yhn

# usermod -a -G sudo yhn

after that Iā€™d reconnect as yhn then
https://yunohost.org/#/install_manually