Cypht caveats, but promising! No howto, only some hints

Hi all!

I’m tryng out Cypht, and like what I see. After some puzzling…

My YunoHost server

Hardware: Computer with Proxmox
YunoHost version:
- yunohost version: 11.2.9.1 (stable)
- yunohost-admin version: 11.2.4 (stable)
- moulinette version: 11.2 (stable)
- ssowat version: 11.2 (stable)
I have access to my server : Through SSH | through the webadmin | direct access via keyboard / screen if need be
Are you in a special context or did you perform some particular tweaking on your YunoHost instance ? : no
If your request is related to an app, specify its name and version:
name: Cypht
version: 1.4.1~ynh1

Description of my issue

I’ve been migrating the last few mailboxes from a hostingprovider to my Yunohost. With that came some merging of mailboxes, forwards and redirects.

Some context:

• I have some mailboxes per “interest area”
  • Per contact I create an alias
  • Some mailboxes only exist to distribute mail (from the pianoteacher to my daughter, my wife and me; mail from school to the children, my wife, grandparents and me; and so on)
  • For replying I use an identity per alias, so that I can set the correct reply-to when answering a (forwarded) mail

The distribution had been working flawlessly with a dummy user with mailaliases and forwards as necessary, but I found out that mailaliases for user groups are a much better solution.

For webmail I had been using Roundcube, but it kept breaking on upgrades. Rainloop seemed a good standin, but got end-of-lifed not long after I started using it. Replacing it with Snappymail, I found that sending mail with an identity that has a reply-to outside of the LDAP-configured aliases does not work.

Not being able to reply to forwarded mail from another mailbox is inconvenient (because I still like to read and reply to mail from all mailboxes in one place, also when using webmail).

Cypht looked unfamilar (if only because I keep reading and writing ‘Cypth’), but seemed to fit the bill. When just installed, I could log in, but after that forgot which user it was and as mentioned on the forums, Cypht is not SSO-compatible yet, I was not able to log in anymore.

New users can be added via the command line as cypht-user, see the post by @badrihippo

Before that I tried with a few more users, and actually got a correct combination to log in.

After logging in, I was once more a bit lost in the layout. I noticed a difference between “Add account” and “Add email account”, and tried “Add account” for the user that should be using the webmail. That worked!

^^^ That place does not add an email account, but a user account for the webmail client.

After that I logged in with the new user, and added a few of the mailboxes on my Yunohost under “Settings → Servers → SMTP|IMAP Servers”.
First add the user/server/port, after that fill out the user (again) and the password in the listing of ‘existing’ servers. Note that “Add an email account”, also under servers, only works with a limited list of preconfigured external mail suppliers, not with your own server. Except if you are Hotmail, then it works with your server, but I digress :stuck_out_tongue:

^^^^ This is where you add your mailaccounts initially. After initial adding it, it will show up next to it, ready to accept your username and password.

Now Cypht is ready to display your mail. It’s very fast! Snappymail was quite quick, but Cypht gave a snappier impression. No objective measurements though.

Now there was this ‘Download’ icon displayed under my mail:

Weeelll … It turned out not to download my mail after all! Clicking it led me to Save Settings:

After entering my password and save, it gave a message settings are saved.

Up next: adding identities. If I find something worth mentioning, I’ll add another post to the thread :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.