CryptPad upgrade to 5.2.1~ynh6 seems to have 'broken' my installation

My YunoHost server

Hardware: VPS bought online
YunoHost version: 11.1.15
I have access to my server : Through SSH | through the webadmin |
Are you in a special context or did you perform some particular tweaking on your YunoHost instance ? : no
If your request is related to an app, specify its name and version: cryptpad 5.2.1~ynh6

Description of my issue

Hello,
After upgrading CryptPad to 5.2.1~ynh6 my installation appears to be broken. I am able to visit the landing page, which even shows my username on the top-right, as if I am logged in. However when I click on it and try to access my drive, or when I try to create a new document, the site fails to load. I instead see a notice saying that my browser cannot find the sandbox-domain.

I assume this is an issue caused because of the newly introduced “sandbox domain”. As far as I can see, I don’t need this sandbox because I already had a functional CryptPad installation on a designated subdomain.

1. How can I fix this and recover my files?

2. I was in the middle of some critical collaborative editing work when this happened. Where does yunohost store its files? I would like to see if I can save my files while I resolve this issue (if it is possible at all).

Thanks!

You should have received an email explaining this. You need the sandbox domain, as per Cryptpad 's own safety requirements. It has been added with your last upgrade of the app. All you need is to generate a Let’s Encrypt certificate for the sandbox domain, it is listed like any domain on the Domains enu of the webadmin.

1 Like

Thank you for clarifying this. I misread that email and concluded that was required only for new installations of CryptPad.

I will give it a try now.

At last I was able to setup DNS records for the sandbox domain and recover my files. Thanks very much again for clarifying what went wrong.

This was a serious and drastic change.

If the maintainers of CryptPad package for yunohost are reading this, please consider posting a warning about this type of major changes next time. The warning should be given prior to upgrade, not after.

I received the above mentioned email after the upgrade. By that time, my users were locked out of their drives and files. The only way to recover was to configure DNS for a domain I did not create. Like in my case, some people may be depending on third parties to manage DNS. If they know the nature of this change, they can safely postpone the upgrade to avoid interruptions.

YunoHost v11.1 now enables us to display notifications before installation or upgrades. The sandbox domain addition was integrated before that.

I understand your frustration, we will try to do better next times.

But don’t forget YunoHost performs backups before any upgrades. You could have solved your issue in minutes…

That’s not quite what we have in mind when we think self-hosting, but agreed. Consider also using the auto DNS push feature if your registrar is compatible with the Lexicon library.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.