[Contributors meeting] June 5th, 2018

Dear YunoHost contributors,

we will have our next meeting on Tuesday, June 5th, 2018. It will be on the usual Mumble server (kload.fr:64738) at 20h30 UTC+2 !

NB: You are welcome to join even if you’re not currently contributing and/or just want to discover and see how things works in the project. :v:

Here is the pad’s link where you can prepare the meeting:
https://pad.lqdn.fr/p/yunohost-05-06-2018

Feel free to add topics and bullet points you would like to be discussed during the meeting !

Hi, looks like not everyone has access to this very interesting topic : https://forum.yunohost.org/t/making-yunohost-a-sustainable-software/4935 :wink:

1 Like

Okay, we made it public :wink:

1 Like

Attendees

  • Aleks
  • Irina
  • frju365
  • Josue
  • ljf
  • rouky
  • Bram
  • Moul

Misc news

Discussion with rouky / feedback from his user point of view

  • UX regarding managing the backup of application’s data

PR to discuss / review

Log/Journals PR

ynh_info / verbose by default

Towards a stable release for Stretch

Goal : release as stable around June 15th

Todo :

[Github] Abandon ship

wat do nao :expressionless:

Available options:

  1. Stay on Github forever
  2. Stay on Github until there’s a federated git network ?
  3. Move to a “friendly” instance like Framagit
  4. Move to a big “company” instance like gitlab.com
  5. Self-host an instance

Overall the consensus seems to be around option 3

(gitlab.com looks too much like the new github owned by a private corp, and self-hosting is quite a lot of work, c.f. the experience we had with redmine)

(Bram and ??? already registered Yunohost and YunoHost-apps on framagit)
(Rafi did some tests / moved his apps on framagit ?)

Pieces with hard-coded Github stuff right now :

  • app.py
  • app list builder
  • the issue tracker
  • simone for automatic PR submission
  • tartiflette / dash
  • weblate / yunohost-bot PRs
  • the general pull request process
  • vinaigrette / the deb build chain
  • maybe pieces in the app CI or package check / linter
  • ???

[Organization] Being a sustainable project

Communication about donations / Liberapay :

  • on the forum
  • in ssowat / the webadmin
  • on the website
  • communication strategy (e.g. which websites to communicate on, each time we have a release / an announcement)

We need somebody (and/or together) to start communicating about the project

Possibilities to gather money:

  • subventions / public funding
    • Tango & scan 2019
    • RIPE
    • EU / Next-generation internet
  • crowdfunding
  • donations
  • SaSS ?
  • plug and play backup
  • consulting on the core (but we need to find people that would be interested for that)
  • contact big associations
  • hosting provider (like gandi)
  • professionnal support
  • formation ?

We kinda conclude that we should at least setup an association and start looking deeper / implementing some of those.

TODO:

  • contact kload to know if we cant recycle the old association ? (Done : we cant)
  • highlight / communicate ways to donate to the project
  • establish a preliminary budget ? with “steps” ?
  • subscribe to crowdfunding platforms ?

Idea of a separate wiki for Apps Documentation

Discussion around how to organize the documentation for apps. This is related to the few pages like https://yunohost.org/#/app_transmission which arent really exploited, and about the README in the apps repo which arent displayed to people legitimately not knowing about app’s repo - yet sometimes repos contains important info.

One possibility could be to have the doc pages hosted inside each app’s repo, inside a doc/ folder (in addition to the readme). This could then be imported in the general doc, and/or accessible from the webadmin.

README.MD
doc/
   USER.MD
   CONTRIB.MD

TODO : create an issue to talk about this

Next meeting

June 19th