Can't access non-yunohost app [urbit] through browser

:uk:/:us: Message template (english)

My YunoHost server

Hardware: contabo . com VPS, 8GB RAM
YunoHost version: 3.6.5.3 (stable)
I have access to my server : Through SSH and webadmin
Are you in a special context or did you perform some particular tweaking on your YunoHost instance ? : no

Description of my issue

Before install yunohost, I have always been able to run urbit (urbit . org) on my server and access its web-ui on xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8080 (or domain.tld:8080) but since installing yunohost I can’t.

When I ssh into my server, I can successfully wget localhost:8080 and get the expected index.html. But in the browser I tries to load for a while and eventually timesout.

I’m not server admin expert… I don’t fully understand how this works, but thought, maybe I could use yunohost redirect app by pointing it to 127.0.0.1:8080, but I get the same result.

I know urbit is running fine in server because it includes a terminal interface which I can use when I ssh into my VPS. I just can’t get to it’s web-ui.

The web interfaces are managed with nginx. Yunohost uses dns and not IP addresses for hosted applications. I had the same problem with my server.

The best thing is that if you own urbit .org, create subdomains according to your applications. You will just have to inject the configuration files for each application.

On the other hand, if you want to access your main server, you can access directly with the public IP of your server.

You need to open port 8080 on the firewall

thank you both. opening the port 8080 did help! thank you!