Cannot login in Nextcloud — password marked as wrong even if right

My YunoHost server

Hardware: Contabo VPS
YunoHost version: 4.2.5.2
I have access to my server : SSH and browser
Are you in a special context or did you perform some particular tweaking on your YunoHost instance ? : no

Description of my issue

It is very dumb, but I cannot seem to find any solution. I cannot understand if it is a bug or if it is about me missing something.

Where do I get the password to login to Nextcloud immediately after installation?
I tried with the same credentials of the Yunohost user, but apparently they are wrong.

What can I do?

Thank you very much!

Update

I managed to login once. Few hours later, without changing anything on the server, I am banned out of my Nextcloud instance since the password seems to be wrong again, but I successfully used exactly the same one before! How is this possible?

Update 2

After a re-installation from scratch, still the same: I login once, then every attempt fails. The password is merely alpha-numeric, and it corresponds to my Yunohost account password.

Hi, welcome to the YunoHost forum!

Did you add a user before installing the app?

You must log in with the username you assigned for the application when you installed it. The same with the password for that user.

Thank you for the warm welcome! Glad to be here.

This is exactly what I did. I created a Yunohost user and immediately after finishing the installation I attempted to log in with the same credentials.

It seems they are wrong, even if I am sure they are not, since I used them to log in in other apps

Actually, I am experiencing something odd: sometimes the same password works, sometimes it does not. It is driving me crazy, I have no idea why such a thing is happening!

Faulty keyboard maybe?

ahahah I swear it is not.

Ok guys, it is driving m mad. I reinstalled the whole Nextcloud app from scratch.

sudo yunohost app install nextcloud
Choose the domain where this app should be installed [matto.club | tommi.nohost.me | assets.tommi.space | cloud.tommi.space | docs.tommi.space | inputs.tommi.space | server.tommi.space | vpn.tommi.space | wallet.tommi.space] (default: server.tommi.space): cloud.tommi.space
Choose the path where this app should be installed (default: /nextcloud): /
Choose an administrator user for this app [tommi] (default: tommi):
Access the users home folder from Nextcloud? [yes | no] (default: no): yes
Info: Installing nextcloud...
Info: [....................] > Validating installation parameters...
Info: [....................] > Storing installation settings...
Info: [+...................] > Installing dependencies...
Warning: Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
Warning: Loaded services file OK.
Warning: Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE
Info: [#+..................] > Creating a MySQL database...
Info: [##..................] > Setting up source files...
Info: [##..................] > Configuring system user...
Info: [##++++++++..........] > Configuring PHP-FPM...
Info: [##########+.........] > Configuring NGINX web server...
Info: [###########++++.....] > Installing Nextcloud...
Info: [###############++...] > Configuring Nextcloud...
Info: [#################+..] > Adding multimedia directories...
Info: [##################..] > Configuring log rotation...
Info: [##################+.] > Configuring Fail2Ban...
Info: The service fail2ban has correctly executed the action reload-or-restart.
Info: [###################.] > Configuring SSOwat...
Warning: /!\ Packagers! You are probably using a lua regex. You should use a PCRE regex instead.
Info: [###################.] > Reloading NGINX web server...
Info: [####################] > Installation of nextcloud completed
Success! Installation completed

I managed to login once, and then I cannot login anymore. I am keeping the password copied and I am just pasting it! It is unbelievable!

Please, help me @HoldMyGin @cricri, I am desperate.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Other apps work though? Login in the default yunohost interface? I was experiencing issues with failed logins which might be related to admin API. Doesn’t sound exactly the same though.

For what concerns logins, everything seems to be super smooth. Firefly III, Wireguard and Wallabag logins take place without any problems.

It is just Nextcloud.

Are you trying to have access while logged in the user interface of Yunohost? Do you have enabled Nexctloud access from the outside? I mean did you get the Visitors group permissions to Nextcloud?

Yes!

The above is my configuration page I think everything is correctly set.

In my experience logging in via the Nextcloud login interface can be unreliable, but if I log in from YunoHost’s login screen and then try to access Nextcloud it always works.

1 Like

In my case, it is still the same

screen recording

Have you tried another browser? Clearing the browser’s cache?

1 Like

Yes. I tried from Tor Browser, too.

I now opened a GitHub issue about this.

So, nobody can help me?

I’m just skimming over this post, but I may have a solution.

My problem: I changed the password of a user to make sure I had the correct one. She still couldn’t log in. It never worked.

My solution: I had to use the yunohost command line to change the password and then it did work. I think it is
sudo yunohost user password <username>

Mmmh… unfortunately, it did not work for me, I tried it already.

Nevertheless, I have no idea why, after attempting a fresh reinstall for the fourth time 10 days after the last time (without updating the YH version) it surprisingly worked.

It is odd, but now it is working so it is not a problem. My takeaway: there are some special non-ASCII characters which are wrongly escaped.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.