Cannot access to my server after install (no ip address)

:us: English :

My YunoHost server

Hardware: Old computer with Intel 64 bits CPU
YunoHost version: 4.1.8
I have access to my server: Live with a keyboard/screen only
Are you in a particular context or have you made any particular modifications to your instance: : no (installer from the official website)

Description of the problem

Hello to all of you. I successfully installed Yunohost 4.1.8 (via the official website) on a computer with a 64-bit Intel CPU, following the administration guide, and everything went fine until I rebooted.

At that time, I could not access the page https://yunohost.local, nor the address 127.0.0.1, etc. So I tried to continue via the command prompt (with screen/keyboard). After post installation through the terminal, I have a message like access to your server from (no ip address ?)

Here is my network configuration:

1. Apart from the Yunohost machine, I already have a debian NAS connected to 443, 4443 and an SSH port
  2. I only open port 80 when renewing the Let’s Encrypt certificate.
  3. For this NAS, I have a domain name at free (nas.freeboxos.fr)

Attempts to resolve:

• I tried to do a ping localhost which shows me packets sent successfully with the address ::1.

• I then tried a ping google.com without success (error message saying something like unable to access the Internet).

• Finally, I specify that the Ethernet cable is functional (a Debian live USB connects to the net without any problem), and my card seems to be recognized with the command lspci: Realtek RTL8411.

So I’m stuck at this step. What do you think about it ? Thanks a lot for your help !

:clipperton_island: Français :

Mon serveur YunoHost

Matériel: Vieil ordinateur avec CPU Intel 64 bits
Version de YunoHost: 4.1.8
J’ai accès à mon serveur : En direct avec un clavier/écran seulement
Êtes-vous dans un contexte particulier ou avez-vous effectué des modificiations particulières sur votre instance ? : non (installateur depuis le site officiel)

Description du problème

Bonjour à toutes et à tous. J’ai installé avec succès Yunohost 4.1.8 (via le site officiel) sur un ordinateur avec CPU Intel 64 bits, en respectant le guide d’administration, et tout s’est bien passé jusqu’au redémarrage.

A ce moment là, impossible d’accéder à la page https://yunohost.local, ni à l’adresse 127.0.0.1, etc. J’ai donc tenté de continuer via l’invite de commande (avec écran/clavier). Après la post installation sur le terminal, à chaque démarrage, il m’affiche quelque chose comme accéder sur votre serveur depuis (no ip address ?).

Voici ma configuration réseau :

1. Hormis la machine Yunohost, je dispose déjà d’un NAS debian connecté en 443, 4443 et un port SSH
  2. Je n’ouvre le port 80 que lors d’un renouvellement du certificat Let’s Encrypt.
  3. Pour le NAS debian, je dispose d’un nom de domaine chez free (nas.freeboxos.fr)

Tentatives de résolution :

• J’ai donc tentĂ© de faire un ping localhost qui m’affiche des paquets envoyĂ©s avec succès avec l’adresse ::1

• J’ai ensuite tentĂ© un ping google.com sans succès (message d’erreur disant quelque chose comme impossible d'accĂ©der Ă  Internet).

• Enfin, je prĂ©cise que le cable Ethernet est fonctionnel (une live USB Debian se connecte sur le net sans souci), et ma carte semble reconnue avec la commande lspci : Realtek RTL8411

Je reste donc bloqué à cette étape. Qu’en pensez-vous ? Merci beaucoup pour votre aide !

That will be an issue down the line I guess, if you want to log in from outside your local network. You may need to have your YunoHost server or NAS proxy for the other.
Anyways, that is not your main issue right now.

I could not access the page https://yunohost.local , nor the address 127.0.0.1 ,

• For yunohost.local, that’s weird, but mDNS is weird anyways.
  • For 127.0.0.1 that would be valid if you were using a browser on the server itself. However YunoHost is GUI-less by default. (INB4 the Padme meme: “You have not tried to install a desktop environment on YunoHost, right?”)

Let’s try and find out your server IP with ip a. What’s the output of this command? (My guess is that it is somehow not assigned an IP by your DHCP)
If there is no IP, show the output of cat /etc/network/interfaces, ls /etc/network/interfaces.d/ and cat /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

1 Like

:us: English :

Thank you very much for your kind help !

I have learned some things from your comment (especially the port 443 and the address 127.0.0.1 which should be used in the servers’s browser itself.

Replying to your request, please find attached the output of the following commands (as you can see, it is easier for me to take pictures this time instead of copying the text, sorry for the inconvenience) :

ip a (please tell me if I should hide some fields, thus I can update the picture) :

cat /etc/network/interfaces

ls /etc/network/interfaces.d/

cat /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

The last command output means that there is no file or folder of this type.

:fr: Français :

Merci beaucoup pour votre aide !

J’ai appris certaines choses grâce à votre commentaire (notamment pour le port 443 et l’adresse 127.0.0.1 qui doit être utilisée dans le navigateur du serveur lui-même.

En réponse à votre demande, veuillez trouver ci-joint la réponse des commandes suivantes (comme vous pouvez le voir, il est plus facile pour moi de prendre des photos cette fois-ci au lieu de copier le texte, désolé pour le dérangement) → c.f. images dans la partie en anglais.

So yeah, you have no IP from your router and there are some unconsistencies in your configuration: your Ethernet connection is enp2s0f2, while enp5s0 is configured in /etc/network/interfaces.

1. You can alter the configuration file and replace enp5s0 by enp2s0f2: nano /etc/network/interfaces then CTRL+O, CTRL+X to save and quit.
  2. Restart the networking service systemctl restart networking

Then check ip a again. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

:us: English

This was indeed the source of the problem. Thank you very much for helping me! I really don’t know why this problem happened since I have installed Yunohost from scratch (no tweak).

Note that restarting the networking service (sudo systemctl restart networking) did not work: the machine had to be restarted.

Now I can only access the admin panel (not the user session) as I have already setup my debian NAS locally and from outside, but that’s another problem I’ll try to solve on another topic if necessary.

Thanks again for your help really!

:fr: Français

C’était effectivement la source du problème. Merci beaucoup de m’avoir aidé ! Je ne sais pas comment ce problème a pu arriver vu que j’ai installé Yunohost de zéro (pas de bricolage).

A noter que redémarrer le service networking (sudo systemctl restart networking) n’a pas fonctionné : il a fallu redémarrer la machine.

Maintenant, je ne peux accéder qu’au panneau d’administration car j’ai mon NAS debian en local et depuis dehors, mais c’est un autre problème que je vais essayer de résoudre sur un autre sujet si nécessaire.

Encore merci beaucoup pour ton aide vraiment !

1 Like

If your NAS accepts non SSL connections, you can try to set your YunoHost server as a proxy for your NAS. Open your 443 port and direct it to your YunoHost server address. Then create a domain dedicated to your NAS in YunoHost and install a Redirect app on it, in public proxy mode, and set your NAS address in http (not https).

I am not sure you can proxy an SSL connection, but maybe someone with more knowledge can hop in here.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.