CalDAV/CardDAV sync not working for Android in Nextcloud (YNH package) with 2FA "ON"

My YunoHost server

Hardware: / Old laptop or computer / Raspberry Pi at home /
YunoHost version: 4.1.6
I have access to my server : Through SSH | through the webadmin | direct access via keyboard / screen | …
Are you in a special context or did you perform some particular tweaking on your YunoHost instance ? : no

Description of my issue

New Nextcloud install 20.0.4.

If you switch “ON” 2FA, then use user security to create a password to use for a Card,Cal/DAV client, the client will not connect. !!! (unexpected?)

Switch “OFF” 2FA in the user security settings and use your normal Nextcloud password on your client card/calDAV client and you get connected. (as you would expect)

CalDAV/CardDAV does not work in Nextcloud with 2FA “ON”. Has anyone else got this issue?

Thanks all

Dj

Hello,

Like for any 2FA system that allows apps to connect to it without user input, you will need to add “app passwords” : Two Factor Authentication for Nextcloud | NextCloudPi Documentation (second section of the page) :wink:

@tituspijean Yes I did create a password in SETTINGS > SECURITY for the device.

2FA on its own is not the problem, it works just fine but if you create a password in the user’s SETTINGS > SECURITY > PASSWORDS and use that password in a device that has to sync with Nextcloud the device will not sync, however, if you turn OFF 2FA and use your normal password, as expected, it will work.

The problem is syncing with 2FA ON and then using a one-off password for the device.

Dj

So here is an update. It does work… But…

I have tested the following senorios.

2FA is ON for a user.

They can login no problem a code etc.

They set a password to allow a sync with another device to their calendar.

On the device an account is created to connect to the Nextcloud calendar.

What I have found this morning is that…

We cannot connect and sync with ANY android device.

ios - works
Windows Emclient - works
OSX - works
Android - no

On the android devices its two devices one is android 8 and one is 9. Both use Davx5 which will connect if 2FA on nextcloud is off. As soon as you switch it back on, no sync.

Is there another android sync app apart from Davx5?

If anyone has free time can they test an android device connected to nextcloud with 2FA On and of course the device set up with a password from the users security.

Kind regards

Dj

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.