Boot YNH form a HHD connected to a RPi...?

Hello everyone.

Today I have successfully been able to install YNH on a RPi3, no problems, worked the first time.

I have a 1TB HDD connected to the Pi and what I’d really like to do is have YNH boot from the HDD. Reason? The micro SSD’s are not so reliable in the long term as we know but also I need more space!

I have tried a search on this forum and the internet to find a way, I have only been able to find expanding storage to a HDD.

I know that you can get Raspbian etc to boot from a HDD but how do I get YNH to do that?

best wishes and thanks

Deljones

1 Like

Hello,

Yunohost is Raspbian. All you have to do is to install Rapsbian on your HDD, or flash with Yuno is. Then with Gparted or other extend partition.
Normally RPi B 3+ boot on usb without modification.

Do i have answer at your question?

Do you have Yunohost running for a long time on the SD card, or just starting? If you are just starting, reinstall as @Guygoye suggests. You can use (about) any Debian-based installation for RPi as a base, and configure disks the way you like during installation of Debian. Once you’re happy with the (plain) Debian install, run the curl-command to install Yunohost, followed by the post install script from inside Yunohost.

Another option is to ‘convert’ your current installation to one on the harddisk. I haven’t got any HDD’s attached to RPi/OPi’s, but searching for ‘raspbian from hdd’ gives How to Boot Up Raspberry Pi 3 from External Hard Disk - Make Tech Easier as one of the top results. It look reasonable enough. The writer gives a step by step guide to swap the SD card for an external HDD.

Hi there,

Personally, I have found the tutorial from the official R-Pi forum to be very useful: STICKY: HOWTO: Move the filesystem to a USB stick/Drive - Raspberry Pi Forums

Note that this still boots from the SD card (kernel is there) but the rootfs will be located on the HDD. It is also possible to burn some fuses in the R-Pi firmware and make it fully boot from an external HDD entirely but this is a one-way path AFAIK: you will lose the ability to boot from SD after that IIRC.

I second @wbk: if your install is new enough, it’s probably easier to install on the HDD directly.

Good luck!

Hello and thanks very much for your time in reading and replying. Great.

I’m not a techie coding wizard but I do know some of my way around and I have found YNH to be excellent for my skill level. (Thanks for the excellent work) I used to run NEXTCLOUDPI and found that I was getting a couple of months from an SD card before the system fell over so I found myself rotating two cards to keep it going!, good quality cards as well! I was then able, with help, to get NEXTCLOUDPI to boot from the HDD.

I’ve moved to YNH in the past 3 months and already have built 3 servers for people using their old machines and so far so good, dead, dead easy to set up and maintain. Excellent self-hosting option.

The other day I found the old NEXTCLOUDPI RPi3 and its 1TB drive and thought I’d like to get it going with YNH. @Guygoye yes I am aware that Raspbian and Debian are almost one and the same which made me think it must be easy to do. The trick for me was exploring how to use the YNH flashed card and get it onto an HDD, so yes you did answer my question. Thank you.

@wbk and @Vinz Thanks very much for these links, I have had a quick look and will get on with these and see how it goes.

Thank you all once again… Here we go. Off to the garage and my workbench.

Best wishes

Dj

1 Like

Excuse my English but i’m French…

I had a RPi 3 B+ that i have migrated to RPI 4.
With my RPI3 B + I have flashed my SSD (not HDD) with a backup of my SD card made by the DD command made under linux of my SD card.
Then i extend the partition with gparted.
With RPi 3 B + there is nothings to do, to boot RPI3 B+ with HDD (with correct power supply) or SSD.

With my RPI 4 i have installed Raspbian then yunohost with curl method. But before to boot on SSD or HDD there is a specific manipulation (flashing eeprom).
Finally in post install i have restore back up from my previous installation on RPI 3 B+.

You can see here too:

Hi @Guygoye. Your English is great…no worries.

So I have installed and have run the latest pi OS which boots up nicely, it sees the 1TB drive, I open a terminal and use the CURL command as sudo, but it stops telling me "User pi should be logged out!

I can see my 1TB drive on the desktop etc. How do I get YNH to install?

thanks once again…

dj

Ok,

If you have destktop environnement, you have to log out.
Then you you press Ctrl+Alt+F1 or F2 to be without desktop.

You will have login: with prompt. You have to log in as root.
So before that you should to log as pi (psswd raspberry) and make command sudo passwd root.
To finis log you as root and make curl method

Hey @Guygoye… Thank you so very much for your help… Excellent!

I could not get rid of the user pi. I changed the root password and logged in as root but for some reason every time I tried to run the CURL script I got the same error “Pi should be logged out”.

So I used raspi-config and changed the login to text requiring a username and password instead of the desktop environment.

I logged in as root with a password, run the CURL script, and BOOM!!! Yuno host is now installing from a HDD.

Thank you for your help .

I would like to make a full step by step on instaling and running Yuno Host from a HDD/SSD. Do we think it would be useful. I’m happy to do it if it is useful?

Thanks again and to @Vinz for the link about getting pi to boot from a HDD.

Merci et Bon nuit!

Dj

You’re welcome. I’m happy it’s work.

I could not get rid of the user pi. I changed the root password and logged in as root but for some reason every time I tried to run the CURL script I got the same error “Pi should be logged out”.

Yeah sometimes you have to reboot to log as root.

1 Like

Hi @deljones and thanks for the feedback, I am glad the information was useful!

As for a doc, I think it would be a great idea. Just check w/ others like @Kayou or @Maniack_Crudelis which have been on the project for a long time how they think the guide should be written (such step by step guides usually need to be kept current which can be some work).

Sure thing… I’ll have a go and put it forward. I think it would be useful…

All the best

Dj

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.