Big Fail by upgrade & no UART on RPi

Hello guys, thanks for the amazing work.

Running on Rpi3, What happened :

It ended up happening. While upgrading something went wrong. My take is the migration was updating the Boot partition which was too small to welcome some of the new stuff (namely rpi4 kernel and device tree).

I don’t know if the server was moving the rootfs partitions to make place, but after a day of super slow system (ssh was barely working) … I rebooted.

The situation now:

The thing won’t start and the green LED doesn’t even blink.
The microSD is readable and I made a tarball of the rootfs.
I’ve noticed the boot partition was missing some files and there’s a boot.bak in rootfs.
I replaced it’s content with the content of the boot from the lastest release. (not copying the kernel7l for rpi4). And now the green LED does give a faint blink before stopping.

The big problem

I can’t seem to get the serial console to log anything from any sort of yunohost distro. I don’t understand what’s different from a raspbian in boot but even with a fresh install on a working sdcard I can’t get anything coming out of the UART. (Worked with a raspbios buster). This is super frustrating as I have no idea what’s happening at boot.

I’ve tried also a fresh install and replaced the rootfs with my backup but that’s probably too brutal.

Solution?

I’m open to any ideas. Ideally I’d like to fix the boot and get at least to loading the rootfs as it is. But I need that Serial.

If starting from scratch again I’ll need to manually port my WordPress (biggest amount of work) I don’t know how to. would copying the yunohost.app work?

Answer in french also welcome.
Vous pouvez aussi repondre en francais.

Again thanks guys

Hi I’m back to share my solution since I managed to make it work.

the missing UART was simply because it didn’t go as far as loading the kernel.

I copied all the boot.bak from rootfs into the boot partition. I had to modify the cmdline.txt to change the root from ROOTDEV to PARTUUID=“partuuid from command blkid on PC”
Then all went fine.

I’m fixing the system now as many services fail.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.