Apt (the package manager) is configured to use the backports repository

My YunoHost server

Hardware: VPS bought online
YunoHost version: 4.2.6.1 (stable)
I have access to my server : Through the webadmin
Are you in a special context or did you perform some particular tweaking on your YunoHost instance ? : no

Description of my issue

I installed YunoHost on a VPS (Debian 10), configured initial steps (Webadmin password, added a user, etc.).

After that, as per the installation steps, I went to Diagnosis and ran it. After the scan, it gave me below warning in Base system:

‘’‘It looks like apt (the package manager) is configured to use the backports repository. Unless you really know what you are doing, we strongly discourage from installing packages from backports, because it’s likely to create unstabilities or conflicts on your system.’’’

It’s straight out-of-the box installation, nothing different about it. How can I resolve this?

Yeah, some VPS do configure backports. It’s not a huge deal but in the yunohost project we kinda became a bit scared histortically about backports upgrading a shitload of stuff to incompatible versions.

You should run grep -nr backport /etc/apt/sources.list* to identify which line is problematic (in SSH from root or with sudo)

Then edit the file with for example nano <the file> and comment the line by adding a # in the front

1 Like

Two entries:

Ok to comment these out?

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I got the “how” part, but I’m making sure that I CAN comment those lines out and it’ll not break anything, since it looks like those are Debian sources.

Ah yes sorry : yes indeed, they are not the “main” sources (= similar lines but with “buster” in place of “buster-backports”) so it’s okay to comment those

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.