After migration from Contabo to OVHCloud VPS receiving email fails

My YunoHost server

Hardware: VPS bought online - OVHCloud Baremetal
YunoHost version: 11.2.9.1
I have access to my server : Through SSH & through the webadmin
Are you in a special context or did you perform some particular tweaking on your YunoHost instance ? : yes
If yes, please explain:
I used the instructions communicated by OVH support team, however did not resolve the issue. Also revert it back to default settings using yunohost tools regen-conf -n and then -f

Description of my issue

We used yunohost set up on Contabo VPS server and DNS gandi for >1 year without any issues. We needed to migrate to OVH due to some business requirements, and we followed the full backup and restore process from Contabo to OVHCloud.
We restored all the settings, apps and subdomains, everything worked fine except for receiving email is failing.

Some technical hiccups were reverse DNS and MX records, and moving from Gandi Live to OVH register.

We have been troubleshooting this issue together with OVH support, but no resolution yet. As a short-term solution to be able to receive emails is, we enable OVH MX redirect to our private email accounts for the communication to continue.

$ yunohost diagnosis show
reports:
  0:
    description: Base system
    id: basesystem
    items:
      0:
        details: Server model is To Be Filled By O.E.M. E3C246D4U2-2T
        summary: Server hardware architecture is bare-metal amd64
      1:
        summary: Server is running Linux kernel 5.10.0-26-amd64
      2:
        summary: Server is running Debian 11.8
      3:
        details:
          - yunohost version: 11.2.9.1 (stable)
          - yunohost-admin version: 11.2.4 (stable)
          - moulinette version: 11.2 (stable)
          - ssowat version: 11.2 (stable)
        summary: Server is running YunoHost 11.2.9.1 (stable)
  1:
    description: Internet connectivity
    id: ip
    items:
      0:
        details: The file /etc/resolv.conf should be a symlink to /etc/resolvconf/run/resolv.conf itself pointing to 127.0.0.1 (dnsmasq). If you want to manually configure DNS resolvers, please edit /etc/resolv.dnsmasq.conf.
        summary: DNS resolution seems to be working, but it looks like you're using a custom /etc/resolv.conf.
      1:
        details:
          - Global IP: 51.195.x.x
          - Local IP: 51.195.x.x
        summary: The server is connected to the Internet through IPv4!
      2:
        details:
          - Global IP: 2001:41d0:x:x::
          - Local IP: 2001:41d0:x:x::
        summary: The server is connected to the Internet through IPv6!
  2:
    description: DNS records
    id: dnsrecords
    items:
      0:
        summary: DNS records are correctly configured for domain domain.tlb (category basic)
      1:
        details:
          - Please check the documentation at https://yunohost.org/dns_config if you need help configuring DNS records.
          - The following DNS record does not seem to follow the recommended configuration:
Type: MX
Name: @
Current value: ['1 mx0.mail.ovh.net.', '5 mx1.mail.ovh.net.', '10 domain.tlb.', '50 mx2.mail.ovh.net.']
Expected value: 10 domain.tlb.
        summary: Some DNS records are missing or incorrect for domain domain.tlb (category mail)
      2:
        summary: DNS records are correctly configured for domain domain.tlb (category extra)
      3:
        details: unicis.tech expires in 58 days.
        summary: Your domains are registered and not going to expire anytime soon.
  3:
    description: Ports exposure
    id: ports
    items:
      0:
        details: Exposing this port is needed for admin features (service ssh)
        summary: Port 22 is reachable from the outside.
      1:
        details: Exposing this port is needed for email features (service postfix)
        summary: Port 25 is reachable from the outside.
      2:
        details: Exposing this port is needed for web features (service nginx)
        summary: Port 80 is reachable from the outside.
      3:
        details: Exposing this port is needed for web features (service nginx)
        summary: Port 443 is reachable from the outside.
      4:
        details: Exposing this port is needed for email features (service postfix)
        summary: Port 587 is reachable from the outside.
      5:
        details: Exposing this port is needed for email features (service dovecot)
        summary: Port 993 is reachable from the outside.
      6:
        details: Exposing this port is needed for [?] features (service jitsi-videobridge)
        summary: Port 4443 is reachable from the outside.
  4:
    description: Web
    id: web
    items:
      0:
        summary: Domain unicis.tech is reachable through HTTP from outside the local network.
      1:
        summary: Domain chat.unicis.tech is reachable through HTTP from outside the local network.
      2:
        summary: Domain code.unicis.tech is reachable through HTTP from outside the local network.
      3:
        summary: Domain dashboard.unicis.tech is reachable through HTTP from outside the local network.
      4:
        summary: Domain db.unicis.tech is reachable through HTTP from outside the local network.
      5:
        summary: Domain docs.unicis.tech is reachable through HTTP from outside the local network.
      6:
        summary: Domain feedback.unicis.tech is reachable through HTTP from outside the local network.
      7:
        summary: Domain jitsi.unicis.tech is reachable through HTTP from outside the local network.
      8:
        summary: Domain link.unicis.tech is reachable through HTTP from outside the local network.
      9:
        summary: Domain list.unicis.tech is reachable through HTTP from outside the local network.
      10:
        summary: Domain meet.unicis.tech is reachable through HTTP from outside the local network.
      11:
        summary: Domain office.unicis.tech is reachable through HTTP from outside the local network.
      12:
        summary: Domain onlyoffice.unicis.tech is reachable through HTTP from outside the local network.
      13:
        summary: Domain sign.unicis.tech is reachable through HTTP from outside the local network.
      14:
        summary: Domain sso.unicis.tech is reachable through HTTP from outside the local network.
      15:
        summary: Domain stats.unicis.tech is reachable through HTTP from outside the local network.
      16:
        summary: Domain status.unicis.tech is reachable through HTTP from outside the local network.
      17:
        summary: Domain support.unicis.tech is reachable through HTTP from outside the local network.
      18:
        summary: Domain vault.unicis.tech is reachable through HTTP from outside the local network.
  5:
    description: Email
    id: mail
    items:
      0:
        summary: The SMTP mail server is able to send emails (outgoing port 25 is not blocked).
      1:
        summary: The SMTP mail server is reachable from the outside and therefore is able to receive emails!
      2:
        summary: The IPs and domains used by this server do not appear to be blacklisted
      3:
        summary: 0 pending emails in the mail queues
  6:
    description: Services status check
    id: services
    items:
      0:
        summary: Service code-server is running!
      1:
        summary: Service coolwsd is running!
      2:
        summary: Service dnsmasq is running!
      3:
        summary: Service dovecot is running!
      4:
        summary: Service fail2ban is running!
      5:
        summary: Service fider is running!
      6:
        summary: Service jitsi-jicofo is running!
      7:
        summary: Service jitsi-videobridge is running!
      8:
        summary: Service listmonk is running!
      9:
        summary: Service lstu is running!
      10:
        summary: Service mattermost is running!
      11:
        summary: Service metabase is running!
      12:
        summary: Service mysql is running!
      13:
        summary: Service nginx is running!
      14:
        summary: Service nocodb is running!
      15:
        summary: Service php7.4-fpm is running!
      16:
        summary: Service php8.2-fpm is running!
      17:
        summary: Service postfix is running!
      18:
        summary: Service postgresql is running!
      19:
        summary: Service prosody is running!
      20:
        summary: Service redis-server is running!
      21:
        summary: Service rspamd is running!
      22:
        summary: Service slapd is running!
      23:
        summary: Service ssh is running!
      24:
        summary: Service uptime-kuma is running!
      25:
        summary: Service vaultwarden is running!
      26:
        summary: Service yunohost-api is running!
      27:
        summary: Service yunohost-firewall is running!
      28:
        summary: Service yunomdns is running!
  7:
    description: System resources
    id: systemresources
    items:
      0:
        summary: The system still has 56 GiB (89%) RAM available out of 62 GiB.
      1:
        details: Please be careful and aware that if the server is hosting swap on an SD card or SSD storage, it may drastically reduce the life expectancy of the device.
        summary: The system has no swap at all. You should consider adding at least 512 MiB of swap to avoid situations where the system runs out of memory.
      2:
        summary: Storage / (on device /dev/nvme0n1p1) still has 739 GiB (88%) space left (out of 844 GiB)!
      3:
        summary: Storage /boot/efi (on device /dev/nvme0n1p15) still has 113 MiB (91.4%) space left (out of 124 MiB)!
  8:
    description: System configurations
    id: regenconf
    items:
      summary: All configuration files are in line with the recommended configuration!
  9:
    description: Applications
    id: apps
    items:

Any help or suggestion will be highly appreciated. We really love yunohost and would love to continue using it as our internal resource driver.

Welcome!

I think we are missing the reason why OVH sent you in that direction, but I’m guessing it is due to the open resolver implemented by OVH?

cf. Trouble with spamhaus marking any mail as spam - #2 by Maniack_Crudelis

I do not like the solution of commenting out the lines in the postfix configuration. On my own server I made sure that the cloudconfig set by OVH to automatically set the network config and stuff does not alter the /etc/resolv.conf file.

This file should only refer to nameserver 127.0.0.1, pointing to your own local DNSmasq resolver.

Try that, and revert the MX list to the one suggested by YunoHost :wink:

1. Check the contents of /etc/resolv.conf with cat /etc/resolv.conf
  2. If it does not start nor contain nameserver 127.0.0.1, but the open OVH resolver, ask OVH support how to prevent that.

If it does start by nameserver 127.0.0.1, let’s investigate further.

Hi,
Correct there were different IP addresses in the /etc/resolv.conf I have remove them and left only nameserver 127.0.0.1. Also had an issue with symbolic link and I created a new one to ls -l /etc/resolv.conf /etc/resolvconf/run/resolv.conf.
Now there are no issues on diagnostics. MX records adjusted as recommended in yunohost.
In a meantime, requested from OVH support to delete redirect MX OVH plan for this domain.
For now we still do not received an email.
I will keep you posted with an update. I guess it will take time for the records to be live.

1 Like

The redirect happens here, you may do it yourself. :wink:

Correct, the MX DNS records is fixed it is only the yunohost recommended:

MX	10 unicis.tech.

However, when I do “Test by sending an email”, I get the following errors:

• The HELO/EHLO string “domain.tlb” doesn’t match to one of the names in the rDNS from connecting IP
  • rDNS for IP 2001:41d0:x:x:: No record found! Failed

I have pushed the rDNS only yesterday around 14.00, usually it takes 24 hours to take an effect.

Ok, now that rDNS is taken into effect I have received a new error after I tried to send myself an email:

unicis.tech gave this error:
Remote server returned message detected as spam → 554 5.7.1 Service unavailable; > Client host [2a01:111:f400:fe0c::809] blocked using cbl.abuseat.org; Error: open resolver; https://check.spamhaus.org/returnc/pub/51.38.107.79/

When I try the Blocklist Tester it failed with Rejected status

C: <Establish TCP connection>
S: 220 domain.tlb Service ready
C: EHLO unlisted.blt.spamhaus.net
S: 250-domain.tlb
S: 250-PIPELINING
S: 250-SIZE 35914708
S: 250-ETRN
S: 250-STARTTLS
S: 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
S: 250-8BITMIME
S: 250-DSN
S: 250 CHUNKING
C: MAIL FROM:<auth@unlisted.blt.spamhaus.net>
S: 250 2.1.0 Ok
C: RCPT TO:<test@domain.tlb>
S: 554 5.7.1 Service unavailable; Client host [199.168.89.101] blocked using cbl.abuseat.org; Error: open resolver; https://check.spamhaus.org/returnc/pub/51.38.107.72/
C: QUIT
S: 221 2.0.0 Bye
C: <Close TCP connection>

I’m waiting now from OVH support team to cancel my MX Plan, to verify it the problem is not from this.
If this does not solve the problem, I will do last solution to transfer the domain from Gandi to OVH register. I read a reddit port that this solved a problem.

Here is the outcome that someone claims it worked for him - Reddit.

That error is due to the /etc/resolv.conf file. Are you sure it only contains nameserver 127.0.0.1? Oh, maybe we need to restart dnsmasq too, and let’s add postfix too: sudo systemctl restart dnsmasq postfix

:crossed_fingers:

I have noticed a few times, soon as I restart postfix it adds the rest IPs

nameserver 213.186.33.99
nameserver 2001:41d0:3:163::1
nameserver 127.0.0.1

Here is an example:

$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 127.0.0.1

root@x:/# systemctl restart dnsmasq postfix

root@unicis:/# cat /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 213.186.33.99
nameserver 2001:41d0:3:163::1
nameserver 127.0.0.1

It turns out to be an OVH IPs.

I have brought an ovh vps with domain name. I had disabled ip6. It gave me a headache because of blacklisting. I’ve checked the mail using mailtester and filled a form in spamhaus. I’ve also had to delete /etc/resolv.conf two or three times to make a link. May be ovh is forcing it. It was about 5 months ago, so I’m not really sure what I did, but now everything is good and I have disabled ip6 in yunohost

Yup, that’s the cloudinit package deployed by OVH that’s interfering. I had tested multiple ways to block it (maybe this works for you?), but I ended up completely disabling it. You have a dedicated server, so I am afraid you would lose your network connection.

Instead, can you revert the file back to only nameserver 127.0.0.1 and then directly after let’s make it read-only: sudo chattr -i /etc/resolv.conf

Then restart the services again.

Since you are in contact with OVH support, can you ask them how to keep cloudinit enabled but prevent it from altering /etc/resolv.conf?

I get the

sudo chattr -i /etc/resolv.conf
chattr: Operation not supported while reading flags on /etc/resolv.conf

Hi community,

Somehow really strange, but it started to work out after I disabled the IPv6 as @jarod5001 mentioned above.

1 Like

Good for you. And I just remembered that I deleted the secondary dns in vps management.

And again, is not working. I’m really going crazy with this saga.

It is not working again.
Looking in, it was altered again from cloudinit. I’m now in talked with OVH support team to disable the alter.

Did you delete the secondary dns?

I don’t have the option for secondary DNS as it is bare metal solution. I just transfer the domain name register to OVH and will wait to see if this will help.

See this article