After installing Pi-Hole, issues with resolv.conf and dnsmasq

My YunoHost server

Hardware: Old laptop or computer
YunoHost version: 11.2.10.3
I have access to my server : Through SSH | through the webadmin | direct access via keyboard / screen | … (all of it)
Are you in a special context or did you perform some particular tweaking on your YunoHost instance ? : no
If your request is related to an app, specify its name and version: pihole-5.14.2~ynh4

Description of my issue

I installed Pi-Hole (without its DHCP) and followed the post-install instructions to set it up as DNS. (I did not make YNH/Pi-Hole the default DNS on my router, because I prefer to choose it as such on each device/connection.)

At first everything looked fine, but after a few hours (maybe I just noticed it then), Diagnosis started producing some warnings related to DNSmasq and Pi-hole:

[WARNING] DNS resolution seems to be working, but it looks like you're using a custom /etc/resolv.conf.
  - The file /etc/resolv.conf should be a symlink to /etc/resolvconf/run/resolv.conf itself pointing to 127.0.0.1 (dnsmasq). If you want to manually configure DNS resolvers, please edit /etc/resolv.dnsmasq.conf.

[SUCCESS] The server is connected to the Internet through IPv4!
  - Global IP: xx.xx.xx.xx
  - Local IP: 192.168.88.112
[ERROR] Service dnsmasq is dead :(
  - You can try to restart the service, and if it doesn't work, have a look at the service logs in the webadmin (from the command line, you can do this with 'yunohost service restart dnsmasq' and 'yunohost service log dnsmasq').
[ERROR] Service pihole-FTL is exited :(
  - You can try to restart the service, and if it doesn't work, have a look at the service logs in the webadmin (from the command line, you can do this with 'yunohost service restart pihole-FTL' and 'yunohost service log pihole-FTL').

Full report:

https://paste.yunohost.org/vemifomora

Any idea how to fix this? I tried re-starting dnsmasq and pihole-FTL, but it did not work.

There is also this, but I wonder if I Pi-Hole actually needs a port open to WAN here, or is that just a mismatch/limitation of the Diagnosis tool:

[ERROR] Port 67 is not reachable from the outside.
  - Exposing this port is needed for [?] features (service pihole-FTL)
  - To fix this issue, you most probably need to configure port forwarding on your internet router as described in https://yunohost.org/isp_box_config
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.