A20-OLinuXino-LIME2 ore the NanoPi M4V2

Hello I would like to install YunoHost. Its my first Project like this.
What is the better choice for a bord.The A20-OLinuXino-LIME2 ore the NanoPi M4V2

Hi there,

I think both should be supported (as long as thereā€™s an available stretch image for armbian)

However, the community is much more familar with the Lime2 as itā€™s also the default hardware for the Internet Cube so that board should be safer choice.

On the other hand, the NanoPi seems to be a much more powerful board with 4GB RAM and maybe more powerful CPU (but Iā€™m not knowledgeable enough about ARM boards)

ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ

Hello,

Looking at the NanoPi M4V2 specs, itā€™s clear that it blows the LIME2 out of the water in every respect! Looking at the processor:

SoC: Rockchip RK3399
CPU: Dual-Core Cortex-A72(up to 2.0GHz) + Quad-Core Cortex-A53(up to 1.5GHz)

The LIME2 has an Allwinner A20 dual core Cortex-A7 processor running at 1GHz, and only 1GB of RAM compared to NanoPiā€™s 4GB. Itā€™s a 10-year old chip. Its appeal is that Olimex has pledged to supply it ā€œforeverā€ (Olimex mostly supplies board for industrial applications). Meanwhile all the different Pi variants come and go.

But the NanoPi seems to be a very recent single-board computer, maybe introduced earlier this year. The Armbian project only lists Bionic and Buster images, no Stretch image which Yunohost absolutely requires to run at this time. I know, I first tried to install Yunohost on Armbian Bionic, then only learned afterwards when it wouldnā€™t work that it wasnā€™t supported yet. :stuck_out_tongue:

https://dl.armbian.com/nanopim4v2/archive/

Also, Iā€™m not sure, but the NanoPi seems to be an ARM64 processor, which means that even if you manage to install Debian Stretch on it somehow, you may have trouble getting Yunohost installed on it, as ARM64 isnā€™t officially supported yet. See Build Yunohost for aarch64 / arm64 Ā· Issue #438 Ā· YunoHost/issues Ā· GitHub

On the other hand, if you want something more powerful than a LIME2, you may consider a Raspberri Pi 3. Itā€™s not the latest, but itā€™s still available, and itā€™s cheaper than the NanoPi. Also, it seems that even though itā€™s an ARM64 board, Yunohost provides an image for it: YunoHost ā€¢ index

Long story short: if you are very resourceful on single-board computers and arenā€™t afraid of having to work to get it going, better, if youā€™re willing to help out the Yunohost devs in making it compatible with this board, then sure, go with the NanoPi. But, if like me youā€™re not too experienced and you look for an easier install path, I recommend you stick with boards that are officially supported by Yunohost, and that have a Yunohost stretch image available.

Thanks if youā€™ve read me through the end! :smiley:

Thank you for the answers I decide for Lime2. Maybe it is easier to use a board who is supported as beginner :grinsend:

1 Like

I have a LIME2 myself, I bought it 3 years ago but I gave up on trying to make Yunohost work at the time. I tried again in the past week, and this time I asked for help. Itā€™s now running. My advice is, if you get stuck, donā€™t hesitate to ask for help on the forum.

Right now Iā€™m a little concerned about performance, since the LIME2 is low-powered. But many people run Yunohost on it. Itā€™s too early to tell for me but so far so good! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Siggi100,

Iā€™m sorry to tell you this 3 days after my last reply, but Iā€™m starting to think Iā€™m going to need something bigger than a single-board computer. I only have Nextcloud and Airsonic installed, and they seem to max out the RAM sometimes as well as being very slow to load. I want to install a few more apps, so Iā€™m thinking Iā€™ll have to use an old desktop PC, or maybe a refurbished miniPC.

If I do that Iā€™ll keep the LIME2 only for PiHole.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.