552 5.3.4 Message size exceeds fixed limit

Hi

My friend is getting error after he sends me attached files to my email.

From: Mail Delivery Subsystem [mailto:mailer-daemon@googlemail.com] 
Subject: Delivery Status Notification (Failure)

Message blocked Your message has been blocked by user@domain.tld. See technical details below for more information. 

The response from the remote server was:

552 5.3.4 Message size exceeds fixed limit

Who is using YunoHost: you, your friend, or both? And how large are the attachments? I suspect the problem lies either in the mailbox storage space or Postfix restrictions.

I encountered this problem the other way round, where I was not able to send a file with a large attachment. That was fixed by increasing the size limit in /etc/postfix/main.cf

#### Fit to the maximum message size to 30mb, more than allowed by GMail or Yahoo ####
message_size_limit = 31457280

Changing the above number to 60mb (67108864) did the trick.

Reference: this question on ServerFault. Also, an explanation on why the limit exists.

In your case this may not be very helpful, but perhaps you could look for similar restrictions for incoming messages? Or see your mailbox quota and check if it’s smaller than the size of the incoming email.

Edit: I just realised this reply is to a very old topic. Anyway, hopefully it’ll help someone :sweat_smile:

Thanks
In YunoHost this has been fixed long ago. I don’t know if big companies allow to send attachment bigger then 30 Mb.
Anyways, now days there are cloud services for huge files. Its much better way of sending attachments than email.

1 Like